Rum Review: Havana Club Anejo Especial

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!
Garick
Oscar

Rum Review: Havana Club Anejo Especial

Post by Garick »

So, I was in Tunisia last week. And what has Tunisia to do with anything? Well, on the way back I flew through Frankfurt Airport... in Germany... where Cuban rum is readily available. I wanted a bottle of Havana Club Anejo 7 or 15 year, but I didn't have much time, and this is what the duty free store near my gate had. It turns out that the Especial is a Solera with "up to five years."

At least I have an actual Cuban rum in the collection now.

Color: Nice deep gold. Very rich.

Nose: Very light. This is the most reminiscent part. Very much like the 7 and 15 years, and reminiscent of the Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva.

Body: Medium with a nice "skinning" of the glass.

Taste: This is nowhere near the smoothness of the 7 and 15 years. It starts smooth, but then has a notable alcohol flavor that's almost a burn, reminiscent of Appleton V/X, if not so marked. Transitions to clove and orange peel as you swallow. Very nice peppery finish that really lingers and gets smoother the longer it sits.

Overall Impression: This rum is definitely Cuban, but has a Jamaican flair to it. If you like Jamaican rums, but want something a little less blatant in it's challenge, this is the rum for you. If you prefer the classic smoothness of the Cuban style, go for the 7, or 15 year, if you can get it. If not, or even if you can as a great variant, go for the Ron Matusalem 10 or 15 year.

Score: 6.5 out of 10
Cheers,

Garick