GRM cachaca

This category practically demanded by here again, gone again KM. Although I'm not ready to give Cachaça its own style, I am willing to accomodate. Chef, RIP: when you were good you were brilliant, but when you were bad, whew...
mamajuana
Admiral

GRM cachaca

Post by mamajuana »

There recently became 3 bottles from reserve (lost in the back) on the shelve at a local store of GRM Cachaca. They have remained there for three weeks. I believe this was imported to the US in 2004-2007 (TTB approval is from 2004). The angel's have taken a noticeable amount from one of the bottles. So really there is two left to consider. Even the two bottles left are lower on the top of the shoulder compared to the review picture below (AUG 2007), nothing in the neck. The cost is 70 dollars plus tax per bottle. While I have spent over 100 dollars on cachaca bottles before they were aged for much longer periods such as 12-18 years.

This GRM bottle comes in what appears to be a recycled glass decanter with a natural cork, sealed with plastic with a customs tag on it from Brazil. It is aged for two years in three different woods, Oak, jequitibá rosa, and umburana barrels, then blended. Made in copper pot stills and bottled at 41% ABV. Color is very pale gold. The bottle touts itself as for "special people", for the spirit connoisseur. Little other info is available.

I'm a bit torn on this one I love my Cachaca but a 2 year aged even if in three different woods for 70.00 seems a bit on the high side for something that appears defunct in the US. I don't recall paying this much for any cane spirit aged for two or less years. Something off putting is a few noticeable sized black specks floating near the bottom of these bottles. Also I need to consider if evaporation of the neck even if not terribly large will effect the contents.

Has anyone here tried this Cachaca before that would recommend the buy?