Rum Review: Scarlet Ibis Rum

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.

How do you rate Scarlet Ibis Rum (five is best)?

71%
29%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ralfy reviews it...

As the godz would have it, Dai discovered and linked Ralfy reviewing four rums, the first being Smith and Cross, which drew his positive raves.

You might also know that Ralfy seems to be just a wee bit lit up...

Dai: "Here is Ralfy doing four rum reviews:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW5HEE3lcLI
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

edgarallanpoe wrote:Mine is from Point Fortin, and yes, we also make punchacreme. lol

Trini's does be da bess!! :P
Ohh, we have relatives down Point, wukkin fuh de oil business.
dawsonh
Greaser

Post by dawsonh »

I recently picked up a few bottles of The Scarlet Ibis at HiTime Wine, Costa Mesa, CA ($36). I noticed that there was a new (to me) look to some of the bottles. The style of bottle was different; it had a black screw top; and the rum was a shade darker in color. (see photo) I have not yet sampled the screw top version.

I have a friend that will be in Trinidad next week (she works for a chocolate company) and have asked her to inquire locally to see if anyone knows more about this rum. I will pass on any new information.

Dawson

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice find and pics, thanks...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Well-observed.

I think I might have to drive the stake in the heart of bunkering a good batch of these before the tide turns. I think I presently have about six.

Next month I (finally) start my self-guided tiki cocktail training with the Berry, Don, and other books, including the Death and Co one, which of course features this rum by name.

I've bought the blender of the gods and everything.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Tough work Tot, but someone has to do it...
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

I can't comment on the change in rum as I have not tasted earlier versions. However, I recently purchased 3 bottles of this and they are all screw top bottles. I finished the first bottle last night. Again, I can't compare the two but this is, in a word, spectacular rum. Very funky and very different from what I am used to. I love it. I have actually mixed it with Smith and Cross in a daiquiri and it was fantastic.

1oz Scarlet Ibis
1oz Smith and Cross
1/2 oz 1oz simple syrup ( I like less sugar in mine but some like a sweeter drink)
3/4 oz to 1oz of fresh lime juice.

I call this the Sore Pecker....because you just can't beat it. :D
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Had these ingredients (used Depaz syrup) and discovered I liked it sweeter. At a point (and loving Painkillers) I added a little nutmeg, nice. This is a mighty powerful drink, which last longer by the way...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Tough work Tot, but someone has to do it...
Haha you joke, but this mission of trying to secure a personal future of rogue rum seems to have taken on Sisyphean proportions...

Certainly I wouldn't trade it for the world, and I owe pretty much every ounce of my awareness to the Project, but man, I'll be very relieved when the bunker is finished and I can just take it easy for a while. It IS tough work - mostly international border restrictions. Governments REALLY love to impede the spirit enthusiast, every chance they get.

I feel like the post office and their struggle to pre-fund the next 75 years of their pension scheme, only with stocking a rum bunker! Definitely would have been easier to start 5yrs earlier. But I'm glad I GOT to this party at least, late or not.

You truly CAN do whatever you want, so long as you're willing to give up everything else - true words for the rogue rum buyer in 2015.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

As for the changing bottles, a lot of the Haus Alpenz stuff isn't consistent - I've received different batches of Batavia Arrack van Oosten, sometimes it's screw top, sometimes cork.

As for finding S&C in Trinidad, good luck - my friend went and he said the only rums seen anywhere are Angostura products.

Haus Alpenz stuff is generally NOT available in the "home country" - e.g. you will not find Smith & Cross in Jamaica unless it was imported from the US.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Finally got around to this; it's been sitting on my shelf for months for some unknown reason. Probably because I have little desire for most high ester rums, though I do enjoy some Appleton varieties.( I think it's the dunder that puts me off?) FWIW, it has a synthetic cork stopper.

This is a lovely well rounded rum; somewhat dry and perfectly spicy, without an overabundance of esters. As others have mentioned single malt scotch is brought to mind. The color further perpetuates this thought as Scarlet Ibis has a beautiful straw-like tint. This is really smooth for a 3-5(8?) yo spirit and very delicate for a spirit bottled at 49% too.

This goes on the short list.