TN Don Papa Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!
mychurch
Oscar

TN Don Papa Rum

Post by mychurch »

A friend brought a bottle of the red label Don Papa to my Xmas meal in December and gave me a present of the 10 year old.

I cant really see that there is much of a differance in the 2, so I´ll just review them together

Style wise these are almost into the spiced rum - Ron de Jeremy came to mind, which its why I put the note on this forum - as they are light and aromatic. Its all vanilla though, with some caramel in the background. In the mouth both share the same trait: they are the most rounded, smoothest, easyest drinking rum that I have ever tried. Its actually dangerous as there is very little taste of the alcohol and neat you can almost drink it like soda. I presume this is due to a large amount of sugar being added, and there is also a real sweetness to the rum.

Taste wise, once you get past the sweet, vanilla, and caramel, there is not a lot else. Some camomile tea perhaps, and the 10 year old does have a spiciness to it on the finish.

As drinking rums I´d give both very low scores. Too manufactured. Too easy to drink.

We did though use the standard bottle as the basis of the Xmas cocktail. where it was mixed with a lot of tangerine juice, and some star-anise infused ice. This worked great and I think that is where this should be used - the light taste meant that the very drinkable tangerine juice was the dominant force, and the smoothness of the rum meant that nobody felt they were actually drinking much alcohol. Given that mixing is the strength here, I would stick to the cheaper version and give the 10 year old a miss.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Lovely review, thanks for a very informative post - I personally look forward to more. Maybe time to buy a hydro?