Another unseasoned rum sailor saved ...

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
DaDino
Landlubber

Another unseasoned rum sailor saved ...

Post by DaDino »

... from the sweet ocean of mainstream rum, by being washed ashore at the rumproject.

The boring facts: 35 year old male from Essen, Germany; Blessed with a lovely wife and an 8 month old daughter; working as an IT-Consultant in Healthcare

My rum journey should have begun years ago when we were cruising the rum infested waters of the Caribbean Sea or during a vacation on Mauritius.
But sadly, it didn't, yet.

Fortunately once a year there is a spirits fair nearby in the city of Mülheim. No better occasion to get hammered with some friends while pretending to be quite sophisticated. Of course it's mainly about whiskey these days, which I strongly disliked back then. What to do... "Ooh, they have rums... premium rums...". Actually quite enjoyable compared to a Laphroaig for example!

Long story short: Over the last 2-3 years I adventured on the above mentioned ocean. Simply following up on google or amazon when I liked a rum. Sweet times. I admit it: the sweet stuff got me hooked to rum.

At some point I came across the fat rum pirate and John Dreyer's homepage, giving me the idea that I'm being deceived. On a side note, I also came across the rumproject, but I ignored it at first since the main page seemed to hippy-like to me as a typical young IT-professional (sorry Jimbo ':oops:' Anyway, my loss at that time). So at the brink of realizing the illusion of modern premium rums I attended the fair in Mülheim again last October:
A) I tasted specifically the most expensive superultramegapremium rums
B) I participated in an Appleton tasting
–> like comparing a Bud light mixed with maple syrup to an english or german beer.

At that point it became clear to me that, while I enjoyed the sweet rums, I was not going to be fooled by greedy companies any longer.

Therefore I started seeking true rums and finally, with the help of sites like the rumproject, I found them. So I figured I might as well try to be a part of that community, whose intimidating knowledge and tasting experience was so helpful to me, in order to learn even more.