Havana Club Maximo - Brief review

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!
JaRiMi
Admiral

Havana Club Maximo - Brief review

Post by JaRiMi »

A week ago I had the opportunity to try this rather expensive, well-aged rum that gives no clear age statement - just a name, "Maximo".

Some claim the bottling contains rums as old as 100 years - if so, these must have been stored in demijohn's well before reaching such an age, not in the cask.

The following link gives the marketing story, as well as the pricetag in UK at least.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/select ... o_rum.aspx

Here is a less commercial article that gives added facts (plus of course information that Havana Club gives out - 100% true or not):

http://www.refinedvices.com/master-of-a ... o-part-one

The nose of this rum is subtle, and obviously related to the 15yo version, in the fact that it seems to offer something akin to a very old Calvados rather than cognac. Brown sugar, overripe old apples a la Xo Calvados, touch of oak...smooth, sweetish and very distinct (I haven't found this Calvados-like quality in any other rum apart from the Havana Club 15yo). Vanilla.

Palate is extremely smooth - this is the most striking quality, really. Smooth, extremely so. Soft. The low (40%) alcohol percentage works to the advantage of the smoothness, but taste is also there: The same very, very old Calvados-like nuance of overripe apples (and other fruits) is very unique, and this is followed by layered, more typical rum-palate notes of roasted sugar, grassiness of cane, vanilla, and oaky tannins – surprisingly few oaky tannins, considering rumours regarding the age. Smooth, very smooth…soft and dry ending.

The finish is quite long, but not very powerful, and the overripe fruits mix happily with the vanilla, sugar, and oak to form a subtle coating in the mouth. A bit of espresso lingers also there, dark unsweetened chocolate? Soft – and smooth experience.

These older Havana clubs ARE unique in their flavour profile, different to any other rums I’ve tasted. The Calvados notes are soo rich, could there be the famed rancio mixed in? I leave that up to the taster.

Would I pay the price & buy a bottle? Heck no, you can get many superb rums for much, much less. Different, yes – but the pricetag is silly. The 15yo Havana club gives you an idea of what to expect, for far less dineiro.

As a tasting experience, I think it was fun nevertheless. :-)