Rum Review: Starr African Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Starr African Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Starr African Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Starr African Rum: "Coconut Pitzel"

There is a small island off the southeast coast of Africa called Mauritius, once described by Mark Twain as "You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first, and then Heaven: and that Heaven was copied after..".

Starr African Rum is a product who also produces a hard-to-find rum called Green Island Rum, among others. The distiller plays it close and simple, so details of how this 2-4 year, molasses-based rum is made are impossible to come by - and if I can't find it, no one can.

Sure.

If you've never seen a bottle of Starr African Rum, you aren't alone - but if you have - you will never, ever forget what may just be the most attractive bottle and presentation that we've seen. As much as we prefer classic presentations like the pre-marketing Mount Gay, this is a simply astunning, clean and completely modern presentation.

Basta! The reviews...
Sue Sea: Jimmy is so, so right about Starr's presentation in a triangular red bottle, featuring a gold leaf outline of Africa, with the island of Mauritius just off the coast. Below states simply: "Starr, ultra superior light African Rum". It is real eye candy for the rum lover, and a bottle that is impossible not to feature on your bar.

Starr African Rum presents as a clear, but not brilliant rum, with unusual sticky teardrop legs. Its aroma was completely enticing, featuring licorice over anise, pitzel, a baked pastry like shortbread, a touch of vanilla, and hints of coconut, molasses and pecan. As for taste, this Starr rum is consistent and does not disappoint. So many rum present well, but then either fall apart or change character unexpectedly. To be fair, sometimes this can be pleasant, but usually is not.

The early, middle and late palates all reflect this enticing aroma and Starr finishes with a terrific white pepper, clove and ginger. It is smooth and I think quite versatile for enjoying with any food, and before, during or after a meal. It is simply delicious, but be careful! It may not last long.
Me: Starr African Rum was not easy to categorize. Other reviewers have it so easy - they simply plop a rum into the usual misleading color and other categories: white, gold, dark et al. They toss this one in with the white or silver rums, typically very new and harsh mixers.

That would be an error and is exactly why these marketing classifications fail.

In the end, Starr's smoothness and sophistication place it squarely - or is it triangularly - in the camp of the Cuban style. Both Sue Sea and I agree on the primary aroma of licorice over anisette and honey - think a sugar cookie. I won't repeat the rest (with which I agree). The early palate represents these wonderful aromas, then build into a slow growing heat to a memorable and lingering white pepper and clove finish, all the hallmarks of a nice Cuban style rum.

The only negative: this is yet another dangerous rum, in the sense that it is way too easy to drink. When I pullled this rum out for a re-review I was shocked to find but a couple of inches remaining in the bottom of the bottle! How could this be! When it comes to fine, and hard-to-find rums, I tend to be very stingy, to preserve the rum for future comparisons (we buy all our rums to preserve our integrity).

It was then I reflected on how misleading bottle shapes can be. Sue Sea often is amazed that a tall bottle holds the same 750ml as a short, squat bottle. Starr's tall triangular bottle - though the bane of a space seeking bar - is completely misleading. The liquid levels fall alarmingly fast and do mislead. The wide triangular base holds most of the contents.

Or did we really drink it that fast? You decide, lol...

Rating (ten is best): Sue Sea - 9, Jimbo - 8.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

I can get a bottle of this (its not cheap) is it really this good?
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

It would be good to revisit this rum on the project. I also have not yet bought this. I have a chance online at it but do have concerns here. As I have not met an African rum yet that has not been sugared. There is a deal right now to purchase 3 and get free shipping but do I really wants 3 at 29.99 if its been sugared? Seems a little high. My concerns are that it describes itself as "light".
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

Mixology

Post by schlimmerdurst »

The German bar magazine "Mixology" had a very short review on this rum. The gist is that they found it interesting and somewhat distinct, but too expensive for the perceived quality - in Germany, it costs around 50€ ($56). I'll look for the article and post it in translation here.
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

Post by schlimmerdurst »

First taster:
Clear aromas of milk, brittle and caramel dominate in the mouth. A complex and exciting product, but a bit robust and blunt. The bottle is an eye-catcher with entertaining stories at the side. The price is a bit too high for a well-done, but young, rum - you can get more full-bodied rums for the price.

Second taster:
Sharp and intense smell of coffee and toffee, paired with grapes or raisins. In the mouth, there is a strong fruitiness, very nice, followed by mild wood aromas. Long-lasting finish. Very flashy design with red color and elegant bottle. Nice label with the shape of the African continent. Too expensive for a white rum.

Tester 1 gave 10 of 100
Tester 2 gave 68 of 100
Tester 3 gave 77 of 100
Tester 4 gave 35 of 100
Tester 5 gave 80 of 100

...which leads to a solid 54 of 100.

The testers were all either bartenders or sommeliers.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I cracked open a bottle of this tonight. Cuban is a positive here very light and the rum itself really leans to this style.

I would say that the nose is typical of an African white rum. Interesting, different, hard to peg, very subdued on the alcohol. Floral, sweet, somewhat fruity, mangos. The taste for me was forward local spice, anise, clove, basil. After the initial blase of spices, I'm left with some light orange citrus. Very smooth going down no burn at all.

I've been down this road before with white African rums. This seems based on the profile to be spiced somewhat in my thoughts. I will do a hydro test shortly to validate my thoughts here. Sadly I have yet to meet a African white rum that has not been subject to additives. I feel like this is a rum that was made like a gin minus the juniper. White barrel aged rum spirits are just cleaner than this without so much distinct characteristics going on.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice contribution...

Our Starr was tested well before the testing, way back in 2011. We enjoyed it, and it was definitely worth the money; still, this one apparently never sold here, ergo I've yet to see another bottle since then.

Mama, we look forward to your test; my bottle has so little left, and is so old I wouldn't trust the test...
mamajuana
Admiral

I was wrong

Post by mamajuana »

I did a few tests today on this rum just to confirm everything but...

The final confirmation test came in at 38.9% ABV. Temp reading was at 17.3C. Corrected to 40.1% ABV.

I have to say I'm impressed and surprised by this result. While I did not suspect sugar as the rum itself in the mouth is not sweet. The spice characteristics are clear and strong so I did expect something to come up.

This either means that this white rum is really well made and unique among white rums out there right now, or they have some type of super concentrated additive(s) that add massive flavor with only a few drops.

I was reading up and drinking on another white rum. They did not label it as flavored but I did suspect. I found out they add 1 cup of super concentrated vanilla to each batch. Each batch is 500 bottles. So assuming 750ML bottles that's 375000 ML of rum per batch. 1 cup is roughly 236ML. That's .47ML added to produce an intense vanilla flavor. Alternation totally undetectable by a hydro.

That said I would really like to believe that Starr is additive free, but with the ways of rum and the profile itself I'm on the fence still.

Either way one thing I'm not on the fence anymore about is making sure to pick up another bottle of Starr before it's gone. Further research and tasting is in order on this one. If it turns out my suspicions here are faulty it is well deserving of a spot in the collection. It's one damn fine white rum if it's truly pure.