Bedtime Story Dept: A story of Mezcal...

Great tasters note that one way to better your understanding of a spirit is to try others. We've already tried calvados, cognac, armangnac, tequila, whisky and gin. Here's some of the more unusual spirits and drinks. Mead me halfway on this, woncha?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Bedtime Story Dept: A story of Mezcal...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To be brief...

Absolutely do NOT miss this video...
http://cdn.theguardian.tv/mainwebsite/2 ... l-16x9.mp4
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Cool. My wife has been wanting to get a bottle of Tequila/Mezcal. Any suggestions?
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Del Maguey Vida is nearly ubiquitous in better bars, as it's the most widely available, somewhat reasonably priced, high-quality mezcal.

Fidencio is also quite good and similarly priced (in the DC area, ~$30)

If you want to get spendy, go for Ilegal Mezcal (that's the name of it), or even spendier, some of the single estate Del Maguey offerings
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Del Maguey Chichicapa is awesome... even Ralphy says so! For a different kind of mescal (with a buttery characteristic), give Zignum Añejo a try.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I wonder...

...whether the "Los Amantes" ("The Lovers") made by the family in the video is available? It is - about $50 and however authentically made, its American promoters spare no extravagance in selling it...
"Los Amantes mezcals are made from a combination of Tobala and Espadin agave, which they say provides an "unmistakable quality and flavour." The marketing website announces: "It is said that mezcal produces an effect similar to that of a tonic with more than just a subtle aphrodisiacal effect, consuming mezcal may mean that the sex life and the very life of the individual himself is prolonged." This is good news for mezcal drinkers. Los Amantes Joven mezcal is the un-aged expression."
Be honest - doesn't just the copy give you a woody?
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Out of the ones recommended, only Del Maguey Vida is available in my part of Ohio for $35.
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Trying El Jolgorio Cuixe mezcal.
The nose is like a bloody ashtray. It smells so much like a Lagavulin 16..
The taste is a bit different. Feels light and not so peaty. Finish is long.. Briny?

Have 3 more to try but I am quite suprised how good this is. It shows that production methods and duration matter.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Another vote for the Vida. Honestly, for the price it simply cannot be beat. Another for one would be the Montelobos brand.

IMHO Mezcal is one of the worlds truly great spirits and its a shame that it is all but overlooked due to the filth that is generally sold as Mezcal....like Monte Albon. Dear lord, just thinking about that makes me want to puke.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

I am very suprised at how good mezcal is.
Have not tried the DM yet but I am very keen to do so.

Did try the pechuga from the above brand and it was very interesting. Not as smoky as the cuixe but as someone mentioned very gamey.

I need to try more varieties!!!