Hand in the Cookie Jar Dept: Caner gets caught...

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Hand in the Cookie Jar Dept: Caner gets caught...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks to all of you, and years of hard work...

...the alteration of rum of rum is now undeniable, and well proven. The Master Sugar List is now being spread about the net, being downloaded, linked and used. But before all this happened, what did we experience?

Not just outraged denial (especially by the Preacher), but addtionally expressed and condescending, angry insults, both public and private. Several of us were "liberated" from the MOR in no uncertain terms for simply raising the subject. In so many words "Prove it!" challenged the Preacher and his monkey minions, "or just STFU".

But what after the proof finally arrived?

At first, continued denial.

Then the blatant lie that "Well, we knew that all the time, but it's really nothing". A few distillers tried to claim that the Finnish and Swedish tests were actually showing wood extracts (no matter that these government laboratory tests were testing - precisely - for sugar). All of these myths were quickly put to bed.

At a later point the Master Sugar List provided a single source of over 550 tests, whereupon it became clear that the problem was neither isolated, nor minor. The master list also showed that the worst offenders were - gulp - the premiums and super-premiums. No doubt composed of lesser altered rums, but more importantly literally swimming in syrupy, smoothing, smothering sugar.

Still, except for a few forward looking websites: Drejer's, Cyril's, the Pirate's, Russell's (to a point), Rum Rating posters and The Project - except for these, many webmasters kept trying to ignore the issue.

But inevitably Mommie catches you with your hand in the Cookie Jar, and then what do you do?

It seems the big holdouts are - as always - in Canada, where "Canadian Whisky" is - by law yet - actually allowed to contain up to 9.09% of any - yes any other spirit, altered or not, and/or even wine - and still be called a Canadian Whisky. Two of them: butt buddies Caner and the Frozen One, remained in icy denial.

But at a point the issue and knowledge becomes so widespread - with buyers opening posting sugar levels and publicly avoiding the sugar bombs - that at least the Caner felt forced to at least indirectly acknowledge the issue, to wit:
Caner:
" El Dorado’s 21 year old remains a perennial global favourite, for example - and that’s because it really is a nifty rum at an affordable price with an age not to be sneered at (it succeeds in spite of its adulteration, not because of it)"
Remember, this is the guy who once refused to add water to overproofs, as a cause to promote his apparent ability to walk and suck on hot coals. But as the above quote makes clear, he seems now only at the earliest stage of (barely) acknowledging the practice. He does so by using the single word "adulteration" (compared to his usual torrent of self-indulgent, run-on paragraphs of descriptors). A silver star.

But even then, he just can't seem to criticize his once orgasmic ED21 which he insists still succeeds (!) - apparently brilliantly - "...in spite of" the massive sugaring.

Mooseshite. Double mooseshite. Triple, hot, fresh, steaming mooseshite. Capish? Of course - you agreed at the first "M", lol. This in spite of our good man Che's extensive tests and demonstration that even a single gram of sugar could be noticed, and that significant effects began with as little as 5g. Seriously. He demonstrated that when an alleged super-premium contains 30 or more grams - a TON of sugar - it has long since ceased being a rum of identifiable and/or authentic character: rather whatever complexity it once had was completely smothered and smoothed to death by the intrusive devil sugar.

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1134

The Caner's beloved El Dorado 21 was tested at 33 grams by Drejer, who also tested an ED25 at over 50g! And so it goes. For any reviewer to believe that a rum, indeed that any pure spirit can succeed "in spite of" ultra heavy sugaring is simply bizarre. Read Che's brilliant study to see just how unreal and smothering sugaring can be...

What does this mean?

It means this. Times have changed and a few self-promoting "experts" had a long history of denial and published insults that they must now deal with. The reading public remembers their denials and insults. Apparently none of them has the cajones to admit their error. "Yes Mommie, I knew you weren't looking and yes Mommie, you know how much I love, love, love sweet chocolatey flavorored cookies, and yes Mommie, I did reach in and ate a few. Well uh, yes Mommie, yes it was more than a few, and um, I really didn't think you'd notice or care."

"But Mommie, you are right. Dessert is for special occasions and I need to eat my real fruit and vegetables first. I promise I won't do that again - I am so, so sorry."

But here's what won't work:

"Mommie, there's nothing wrong. I do love and enjoy my fruit and veggies, even in spite of the fact that I snuck and ate a whole bunch of cookies instead."

Astute readers (most of you) may have also noted that the Caner apparently buys into (and glowingly promotes) ED's stated age, despite the fact that rum age statement's are entirely opaque and cannot be trusted, unlike his Canadian Whiskys, which are bonded, trustworthy and accurate.