Bristol Spirits 1986 Rockley Still Rum, finished in oloroso

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!
JaRiMi
Admiral

Bristol Spirits 1986 Rockley Still Rum, finished in oloroso

Post by JaRiMi »

Rockley still is apparently a small pot still, which is occasionally used at the WIRD site at Bim. It produces a really unique rum, flavours which I haven't found from any other rum.

Bristol Classic Rums series has over the years featured many versions of 1986 vintage Rockley Still rum: Fino-finish, Madeira-finish, and now, the final 1986 vintage is released, finished in rich Oloroso.

This oldest Rockley still rum in the set is not the most hard-core out of the lot (fino was particularly HC) - years in the cask, as well as the rich oloroso finish, have softened the spirit some, and given it a wonderful finesse and softness that one will not find in the earlier releases.

The unique Rockley still flavours are certainly still present: Pine resin, slight tar, and estery fruitiness. the oloroso (and the age) has packaged all this into a soft, rounded and slightly sweet package (not aspartame-generation sweet!!). The resulting rum is simply amazing. Bottled at 46%, this rum has a soft mouthfeel, and requires no water (I'd be careful with adding any to a rum this age and beauty).

Finish dries up slowly, but maintains the profile, with a touch of oak arriving towards the end.

HIGHLY recommended, sip "as is". A unique experience.

JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Another fabulous old "Rockley Still style" rum that I've come accross:

RumSwedes (Svenska Eldvatten) Barbados 2000, single cask, 58,8%

http://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/west-in ... atten-rum/

An absolutely fantastic rum for anyone who enjoys this robust, extreme and even slightly odd style, with a taste of pine resin, heavy estery notes and a touch of dirty smoke. Highly recommended! As this is not finished in anything, the dirty, weird character of this pot still rum really comes through in force.

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Licking my lips...

These two - especially the oloroso - sound absolutely delicious and I'm sure are well appreciated by the regulars here. As for the monkeys - their expectations have been made so low by the Big Three and the cheaters that they can't or won't appreciate what is surely the quality of these spirits.

The second one - the Swedes - as described would seem to appeal to those who like a good Islay. I am one of them...
Rum-pelstiltskin

Post by Rum-pelstiltskin »

The Rockley Still Barbados rum from Bristol is excellent and hard to find.

I tracked a bottle down for £120. Pricey but worth it. It's tremendous.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Cant find this at all.

The only version still in the market is the 1986-2008 with Madeira finish.
Has anyone tried this version?
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

AK9 wrote:Cant find this at all.

The only version still in the market is the 1986-2008 with Madeira finish.
Has anyone tried this version?
A fantastic "Rockley Style" rum - highly recommended.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Thanks Jarimi.
I might bite the bullet and get it (or wait for next month's paycheck).

Was a abit sceptical because SV review was not so positive.