New Good Releases: Beginning with Seales Port

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

There are many different offerings of Plantation offerings. I have a vintage single cask 1989 bottle that has an abel cask finish at 45% which is said to be 24 years old at time of bottling. This bottle Is rather sweet and its extinct status has my last bottle reserved to the collection shelve. I paid 66 USD for it.

There are many other bottles available including a straight 25 year age statement in the EU. I believe this rum is rather expensive, is it worth it? Only you can decide this. If it were me in the UK I'd grab the bottle. Shipping putting this at 160 dollars I'll pass.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Plenty of time to make a decision.
Still 13 bottles left.

Lots of Caroni seems to be issued by different IBs. The Rum Cask has one from 97. Velier is getting out a 17yo.
I wonder how long this will last. Hope lots so we can build supplies for the future!
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

AK9 wrote:Plenty of time to make a decision.
Still 13 bottles left.

Lots of Caroni seems to be issued by different IBs. The Rum Cask has one from 97. Velier is getting out a 17yo.
I wonder how long this will last. Hope lots so we can build supplies for the future!
Still a lot of Caroni readily available from most of the UK Indie bottlers. Most isn't at cask strength but is very reasonably priced.

One particularly good one is Ancient Mariner which is rather misguidedly marketed as a "Navy Rum" - they should be marketing it as a 16 year old Caroni it would have sold a lot better. Master of Malt and/or Whisky Exchange often carry it.

It's really good and I found it had more depth to it than the 12 Year Old Velier.

In terms of buying Plantation rums - I wouldn't be paying over the odds for their products. The limited releases are often multiple releases in different territories and whilst I don't really doubt their age claims - there are so many better bottles to be had without the "dosage".

There are so many of these limited Plantation bottlings that I doubt many will be collectors items in years to come.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I doubt any plantation bottling especially in the EU will last long. I do disagree that these have lower collector value. These are limited released especially in the US where one or two barrels are release for retail. These are much rarer than any other rum I can think of. While I'm not saying the value should or will soar but these are quite rare in the US. When they are gone they are gone. They go to a few select stores you either order or don't have a bottle. It is a collectors item whether or not the price increases significantly. A shelve of 50 bottles you can't buy is a statement. I think the most significant statement is from a collector such as myself. I would pay to bring in a bottle I don't have. The problem is that in the US they don't exist. I even have bottles of plantation releases that are not reported at all online. While we need to go many years back to find a bottle I don't have it does not discount it. The reason is that the bottles people drink up have a higher value in time.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

FRP,
Thanks for the Ancient Mariner tip. I did not know that it was Caroni.

Regarding the Plantation, I have to say that lately the market has shifted and you dont find bottles of a supposed age (from 80s or early 90s).
Most of the Caroni's sold now are from 96/97 and onwards.
Demerara/Jamaica bottlings are also the same.
Finding something from the 80s is not possible, or it is very very expensive.

Obviously older age does not mean that the rum is better.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

So Bristol seem to have released a 99 PM with bourbon cask finish.
I wonder for how many of their releases they still.have few casks maturing! They had a 1990-2007 PM and last year they issued a 1990-2015. There was 1990-2008 Providence and then issued a 2012.

Flying under the radar an IB whisky bottler has released a 1977 and 1982 Longpond 1-2 years ago at really good prices.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Hmm, where did you see the 99 PM bourbon, AK?

I bought everything I could find of the 99 PM Sherry, would be interesting to see what happens with a bourbon finished one.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

It came up at MoM but now its gone. Suspect they will get more soon. They seem to buy these in batches of 3-6 bottles each time.

Got a tip about a Rum Nation 1985 (23 yo probably PM) sitting on a shop forgotten for the last 4 years. Now it is on a very good price. If you want info PM me.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

OK this is not a new release but thought that ones in UK might be interested in this.

TWE has the 1989 and 1991 Damoisaeu. These are the OB versions and not the Velier ones. They are also 50cl and not 70 but they are cask strength.

Strangely how they have 1989 at 72 pounds and the 1991 at 90, so probably someone must have made a mistake here.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Strangely how they have 1989 at 72 pounds and the 1991 at 90, so probably someone must have made a mistake here.
One that will soon be taken advantage of, methinks...
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

A new Foursquare release came out at MoM last week. They had few bottles so i hope that they will replenish their stocks.

After the 9yo Port cask, this one is the 11yo Zinfandel cask:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/foursq ... rum/?srh=1
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Yup. Sold out already.

Good for Richard!
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

The Cola for the Zin cask hit about 1 month ago so I'm not sure how soon we will see it state side. There is also another COLA, notice that this is Mark IV. Mark III hit about the data base 3 months ago. It's a cask strength 59% ABV, 11 years old, all aged only in Bourbon casks with a 2004 distillation date. I'm probably more interested in the Mark III, but can't wait to get my hands on both. They should be released together by the same US importer that released the port cask finish. I would put a mid to late summer time frame on when we see these available for purchase from the locations that sold the port cask.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Wish I could get some of that stuff around here.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Foursquare has a vintage 2006 single blended (coffey and pot) via Velier available now or very soon in the EU. 3yrs in Bourbon barrels and 7yrs in Cognac barrels. Barrel proof 62% - Subtle, complex and delicious. You might want to try a bottle if your taste runs to Highland Malts or a balanced Cognac.

ALSO expect the new Foursquare 2004 Single Blended 11yr Bourbon cask barrel proof 59% limited release to be on the shelves within a week or two at some shops on the West Coast, Chicago and Texas. Possibly other locations also. This is some damn good juice - a bright spirit with a sharp entry progressing to a balanced sweet and woody palate that evolves to a long entertaining finish. It will remind you of a balanced Bourbon in character. Not in a big slap you in the mouth the way say a Velier Port Morant is but more balanced. Get some, it shouldn't be too expensive as the bottles in the UK sell for right around $50. And to my way of thinking thats a stone bargain for barrel proof rum these days. We have all been asking for a product like this in the States for a long time - Richard Seale did it.

ALSO ALSO there is a new Velier Foursquare collaboration soon available in the EU that is really interesting. A 2013 Pure Single pot still bottling. That's a 2yr old rum that was aged in Cognac barrels bottled at cask strength 64% - this is the first pure pot still product bottled by Foursquare. It's miles away from some of the other young Rum being sold and way more sophisticated and complex than most US Craft products of similar age.

No chill filtering, no sugar, no added flavors and a clear informative label on all these. [/img]