Coffee liqueur for a Black Russian

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
SlowRain
Oscar

Coffee liqueur for a Black Russian

Post by SlowRain »

What coffee liqueur do you use for a Black Russian? I find Kahlúa too sweet and cloying. I've recently been using Reserva del Señor Licor de Café. It's much better, but I'm wondering what else is out there that is good.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

I use Avion espresso liquor. Much better
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I've tried several, but I like Santa Teresa Araku better than the standard Kahlua and most others that I've tried. It's not as sweet as Kailua and has a better coffee flavor. Brinley's Shipwreck Coffee Rum is great on it's own, but doesn't have a strong enough flavor to handle the dilution with Vodka. You should definitely give it a try on it's own if you like Black Russians in any case. At present, I'm finishing up some old discontinued Starbuck's Coffee Liqueur, but I doubt you'll find any of that now that it's been gone for several years.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)