Rum Review: El Dorado 12 Special Reserve Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate El Dorado 12 Year Special Reserve Rum (5 is best)?

22%
56%
11%
11%
No votes

Total votes: 9

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: El Dorado 12 Special Reserve Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

El Dorado 12 Year Special Reserve Rum: "Leather Covered Cigar Box"

Well, well. Tonight's review is (for me) the elusive El Dorado 12 - available at an extremely favorable price, about $18. Many of you are aware that the ED15 has been rated one of the top rums in the world. Accordingly ED15 has earned the right to be my reference standard in this category. Still, there is more than one writer who prefers the 12 year. Is this possible? The reviews:

Sue Sea:
Please note that my dear Sue Sea is ill this evening and I was forced to complete this review without her expert leadership and fine senses. She swung by just once to do a quick nosing, and to reassure me: "You've got it Jim, keep it up!. And so I shall. She promises to add her notes real soon now, lol...
Me:

El Dorado 12 Year comes in yet another attractive, squat bottle. Any sailor (this includes "It's all good" Preacher Ed) can't help but love this classic sailing ship label and faux red and gold seal. The color is a clear dark amber with lovely slow legs. Nice. ED12's aroma is striking: a pungent deep tobacco-leather, smokey and oakey. Think cigar box with undertones of tar. If this doesn't remind you of a historic, tarred sailing vessel, nothing will.

The taste is entirely consistent (leathery, tobacco, oak) but a tad lighter with a coating, medium body. Entry includes a light overtone of honeyed sweetness with a nice light pepper. Lovely. End palate is warm and slightly astringent. The finish is all too short, but leaves a consistent lingering aftertaste. At it's price point, almost a must buy.

El Dorado 12 is a smooth sipping rum that would ago perfectly on the bridge of a tarred, wooden sailing schooner, watching the sunset and smoking a good cigar...

Rating (10 is best): 7.

Addenda:

Sue Sea finally got over her illness and was rarin to go - we ended up tasting four rums including the ED12. Here's Sue Sea's review:

Sue Sea:
I very much like the ED15 and was interested in comparing the ED12 in its similar classic squat bottle. It's color is a typical medium amber, only modestly clear. This is one of the few rums where Jimbo and I have somewhat differing opinions. I found El Dorado 12's initial aroma to be more deeply fruity, a deep dried peach with vanilla, oak and a little clove. On reflection I do pick up Jim's leathery, tobacco aromas, but this was later. ED12 is medium bodied, with a heavier apricot/peach marmalade taste with some clovey heat, along with smokey tastes of tobacco or cigars. The finish is a medium cigar box/tobacco.

El Dorado 12 reminds me of the homemade canned peaches with cloves as my mother made.
Me:

Upon a second tasting, I stand on my earlier review. This is a good cigar rum. We both liked it.

Final Rating (10 is best): Sue Sea - 8, Me - 7.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Finally got ahold of this - as I mentioned in another thread - at the $20 price point I paid for it, I would have to say it is my favorite bang-for-the-buck spirit of any sort - though I have yet to try it next to the 15 yr old.

Can you still find the ED 5 yr old nearly as cheap as you could a couple years ago? I see it at hitimewine in Cali (whose prices are tough to beat) for $17.99, of course Atlanta area stores beat their $26 price for ED 12 by a substantial margin at $20.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Current prices...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yank, I haven't priced the 5 year recently, but I did find an El Dorado 8 Year for about $17, so I'd guess the 5 year is a few bucks cheaper. We haven't reviewed the 8 year yet, but we did break the seal and had few drams just for fun...

First impression: nice.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I gave ED12 5 points it's a fantastic rum that I like equally as much as the 15 and the 21. They are different but all are wonderful. If I collected rums and didn't drink them too quickly this would be permanently on my shelf. I really enjoy a maduro wrapped full to medium cigar with this rum.
in goes your eye out
RobBosman87
Greaser

Post by RobBosman87 »

I enjoyed this rum quite a bit, mostly picked up the flavours mentioned by the Captain.
Would love to try it without the added sugar as at times I thought it was a bit too sweet.
Cheers,

Rob