Rum Review: Rhum Negrita

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!

How do you rate Rhum Negrita (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Rhum Negrita

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Rhum Negrita: "Black Coffee/Licorice Drops"

Why is it that self-created rum snobs tend to short sell younger rums that sell for less than $20? It's prejudice, pure and simple, and these snobs really don't know rum, or rhum, all that well. These are the same fools who actually believe that "Rhum Agricole AOC Martinique" defines "rhum agricole", which is simply the French version of "Cane Juice Rum" - despite the fact that cane juice rums have been around for almost 200 years, and the AOC sanctioned label was invented only recently (1996).

Dumb shits.

The cane juice rum we are reviewing today challenges both of these ridiculous assumptions. First, there are many world class rums that sell for $20 or less, and which are less than 7 years old. Only sugar-added pussies would disagree. Second, Rhum Negrita is made from cane juice sourced from Martinique (in part if not in whole) - and does NOT carry the AOC label.

Good on them. Can a bargain basement "rhum agricole" stand up? Kindly continue...
Sue Sea: Jim and I were very surprised to find a cane juice rum from Martinique being sold for a mere $16.95. I'm a big fan of presentation and Rhum Negrita, a whole liter, is sold in an old-fashioned classic bottle, with an equally old and authentic label featuring a young, turbaned island woman. The name of the rum is also molded into the dark glass, along with an interesting bead and distressed pattern. Lovely, I thought. But even though I know better, I still didn't expect much for a rum sold in at this price point for a full liter.

Boy was I wrong! The aroma is classic cane juice - caney, reedy and earthy. Actually beyond earthy, with a sort of petrolatum, leather, cork and cachaca aromas. I found a nice spicy background of ginger, cinnamon and clover - all together like a spiced baked apple pie, and with a hint of orange zest.

The palate was equally interesting and opened like a cognac, very different, with hints of berries and dark fruit, so unusual. I found anise and licorice. Rhum Negrita has a Jamaican feel with a Barbadian twist, including cherry, and deep raisin and prune, dried dark fruits (think mincemeat), and a touch of molasses, pecan, coffee, cacao and mocha. So nice, and unexpectedly complex.

As far as development, Rhum Negrita opened with a honey sweetness, transitioning into spicy heat and leather, and finishing with a dry white pepper. Think of a Werther hard candy, as the caramel dissolves in your mouth.

In sum, Rhum Negrita is not at all the simple mixer some have claimed. It is very complex. I love the authenticity of a cane juice rum that doesn't exaggerate anything, and keeps going. This rum fills many roles: appetizer, during and after the mealsipped or mixed with cream, milk and ice. I liked it.

Me: I despise snobbery, and Rhum Negrita is Exhibit A. This hard-to-find cane juice rum is in limited supply, but at $16.95 is a must buy. It presents as a cloudy amber, and even presents a thin green edge. Sadly, the distiller provides little detail about a rum that deserves more.

Some have criticised its label on the basis of racism, but it is well to appreciate that the Rhum Negrita label is very old, and completely authentic. The distiller/bottlers refuse to change it. I am not offended at all, since it is well to remember that rum was built and prospered on the backs of our mocha skinned brothers and sisters, who are memorialized by this label.

I much prefer an authentic Negrita to an invented, white and truly abused image like "Panama Red". Basta! Let's get to it, as I flesh out Sue Sea's usual spot-on review. Rhum Negrita presents with a caney, bandaid/camphor overtone, very similar to St. James Rhum Ambre. This cane juice rum opens sweet, then moves into a dark and caney mid-palate, and finishing with a nice dry white pepper finish. The aftertaste lingers with a neat cacao, coffee, black licorice aftertaste. Consistent and nicely balanced.

This is not a rum for the monkeys, who demand that their molasses rums be altered with sugar and glycerol. The sweetness of cane juice Rhum Negrita is light and fleeting, as it should be, and the cane overtones will likely put off the sweety sweaty furballs of the Shillery.

In sum, Rhum Negrita is must buy at $16.95 and certainly worthy for its uniqueness. Buy it.

Score (ten is best): Sue Sea - 8, Jimbo - strong 7
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Speaking of under $20 rums - I finally got ahold of a bottle of 12 yr old El Dorado for that price, and I have to say it is excellent - haven't done it side-by-side vs the 15 but for $20 vs $30 I think I have my new best bang for the buck liquor, regardless of the outcome.