Hello!

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
jimmyRRpage
Landlubber

Hello!

Post by jimmyRRpage »

Name's Nathan.

I've been into sipping rums for a little while, now, though I'm only just learning about the sugar controversy. I've decided that my next bottle of rum will be Foursquare... one of the sipping ones. I want to try a "premium" rum with little or no additives to compare to the ones I have tried so far (Ron Zacapa 23, Kaniche XO, Zaffra, and Zaya).

I'm a big fan of scotches, and if a friend of mine comes through, I'll be dipping my toe into the tequila waters, as well.

Alcohol, for me, is a sipping drink. I don't like being drunk, so I'm always looking for the spirits that lend themselves to slow sipping on the rocks...

I'm on Long Island currently, and work for Teavana.

Hello!
My name is Nathan Hevenstone
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome Nathan/Jimmy...

We look forward to your participation. Cheers! Like many of us long ago who began with the heavily altered rums like the Zee's, I do hope you'll get a chance to try some pure and honest rums that in time you may come to prefer...
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

If you are getting into the tequilas and are a fan of Scotch, then I would *highly* recommend you get into Mezcal. Mezcal is one of the worlds great spirits. There are some really good ones out there now and unfortunately they are often overlooked because most peoples experience with Mezcal is something like Monte Albon...ugh.
jimmyRRpage
Landlubber

Post by jimmyRRpage »

@edgarallanpoe
Mezcal is next on my list once I've decided my tastes for tequila...

@Capn Jimbo
I should say... I'm a chronic lurker. Ask every other forum I belong to... :D I'm here to learn, honestly, and to narrow down the list of rums I want to try.

BTW... is my idea for making the master list into a spreadsheet for ease of organizing allowable? I was going to do it, but I wanted permission, first...
My name is Nathan Hevenstone
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

The reason I recommended Mezcal to you is because it has all of the wonderful tequila flavors coupled with a very Scotchesque smoke. When I had my first real Mezcal, I was completely blown away.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Mezcal

Post by sleepy »

Apart from a few volume producers <cough, cough -Monte Alban> most Mexcal is local craft distilled: dig the Maguey root ball (relative of blue agave); smoke it for weeks; mash it and let the pulp ferment; distill it in (often Jerry-rigged) pot stills. Wonderful fresh and clear, better aged for a while in old barrels. Visit Oaxaca! Home of mezcal and seven moles!
morgbug
Oscar

Post by morgbug »

edgarallanpoe wrote:The reason I recommended Mezcal to you is because it has all of the wonderful tequila flavors coupled with a very Scotchesque smoke. When I had my first real Mezcal, I was completely blown away.
Well that's a fascinating thing....Scotch does have some smoke for sure, depending on the region, but lots of Scotch pretty much entirely without it. So sure, Mezcal relates reasonably well to the smoke aspect of Islay Scotch but not so much to most Speyside whiskies. Just sayin... and I love your user name. Sadly like tequila, i ruined Mezcal for myself. Entirely self-iflicted.

Welcome also to jimmy.
RobBosman87
Greaser

Post by RobBosman87 »

Welcome Nathan, nice to see another familiar name here.
Cheers,

Rob