Clement and Damoiseau

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!
Altair
Swabbie

Clement and Damoiseau

Post by Altair »

Hi,

What do you think of these two rums?

I drinked JM, St James, J Bally, and a lot of Barbancourt 8y, but I never tried Clement and Damoiseau.

Which do you prefer?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Speaking for myself, they are all great choices, but valuewise, to be able to enjoy a true world class cane juice rum - Barbancourt - at ordinary prices is a gift from the godz.

I would not overlook St. James - very affordable for those who seek a relatively young cane juice rum representing the column stilled rums of Martinque. And JM - great but quite expensive, but I've had the luck of finding several closeouts at - are you sitting - under $10!

Carry on.
Altair
Swabbie

Post by Altair »

Ok, thanks.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Saint James is great, especially the middle-aged ones (4 years maybe?). The white is nice but not special, the older ones are too oaky.

Damoiseau is great across the board.

Both are in the Barbancourt price range if not cheaper, and are markedly different.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

St James 15yr is excellent - but I really like a woody pour. If you like Bourbon you will probably love the 15yr. If you like sweet rums, then not so much.
St James vintage 2001 is another I would recommend. It's only weakness is it's short finish.

Clement Single Cask and the 6yr are the two stand outs in that range. At tastings the 6 is always prefered over the 10yr, so save yourself a little money and try the 6. Haven't tried any of the more exotic vintages yet and hey can get very pricy.

Damoiseau is mixed on my score card. The 8yr in the armagnac style bottle is a wonderful pour, among my all time favorites. They have changed the bottle and possibly the contents as well so I can't recommend the current 8yr. The vintage 1991 Damoiseau I have is an embarrassment. So full of artificial color its solid black and obviously loaded with lots and lots of coloring. Really, even with a bright light behind it you can't see through it at all. Herve says no coloring added but this color is completely impossible from a barrel. The bottle of Damoiseau XO I have tastes so strongly of cinnamon (nearly fireball levels) that it's hard to believe it doesn't have flavor added. No answer when I inquire about added flavors on that one. - So overall I can't recommend Damoiseau.

I'll second the positive responses regarding Barbencourt.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

These were released with almost same % as the Velier vintages?
Have you tried the 89 as well?
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

The '91 is barrel proof - I think the 89 is also. Haven't had the opportunity to try the '89 yet.