Florida Mermaid Rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Florida Mermaid Rum

Post by Beukeboom »

Found a new rum from the land of Florida mermaids, Weeki Wachee. Ironically I didn't find it here in the land of blowhard Florida politicians (e.g. -- Tallahassee) but over the state line in Thomasville, GA where it seemed every liquor store had some.

According to their website "Mermaid Rum is a "Gold" 3 year old Florida Sugar Cane sipping rum blended with a Caribbean pot still rum then aged in our National Award Winning Wild Buck Whiskey barrels for 90 days." Elsewhere over on Rob's Rum Page it is described thusly:

"A blend of aged Florida rum and high ester Jamaican pot still rum, rested in Wild Buck Whiskey barrels for 90 days. The nose begins with aromas of black banana with floral notes and butter, some vanilla and almond over oak and a funky fruit basket. On the palate, complex esters offer a delightfully fruity astringent entry that evolves to big warmth in the mid-palate where wood and brown butter precede some baking spice as the finish slowly fades."

[BTW, pardon my ignorance but what exactly is "high ester"?]

It is 100 proof but doesn't have a noticeable increase in burn. Nor do I detect much tannins from the barrels which I presume are oak. However there seems to be a little too much sweetness to it which makes me think it's sugared a bit. However there is a nice blending of flavors. I get some almond and vanilla at the beginning. Maybe a hint of butterscotch. I don't get the "black banana" personally but it does have a bit of butteriness to it. I concur that it is a nice sipping rum.

Anyone else try this yet?

http://www.wildbuckwhiskey.com/
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It sure seems that Florida has become home to a growing number of small distillers (there, I managed to avoid the marketing term of "artisan").

Now as far as this one goes, it appears that Wild Buck uses a copper pot still for the spirits run. What they use for the first stripping run in unclear. "High ester" refers to rums whose process usually includes long fermentations (in Jamaica, the use of dunder from 20 and 30 year dunder "pits" of leftover runs), and which then are distilled to lower percentages, best in a pot still (around 65%), and then aged in good wood.

All of these insure that the rum has been allowed to develop many additional long chain "esters", ie flavors. For example a high production, column stilled industrial rum - produced after a short fermentation - may consist of only 30 to 50 esters (flavors/aromas). Compare to Jamaican "high ester" rum of perhaps a 1000 esters.

As far as this "Mermaid Rum" goes, I wouldn't pay too much attention to "Rob", as this is a long time commercial and overly dramatic regurgitator of PR releases, most of which seemed designed to schmooze the distillers, to whom they hope to sell tables at the Miami Death of Rum Fest.

The funny part about this "Mermaid" rum is that a close reading of the distiller's description - unlike their whiskey - does not make clear any of the process of this rum, but only addresses the blend: a three year old rum with a "Caribbean" rum.

The production of either rum component is not discussed. Is the 3 year component made by them? No answer. Who makes the "Caribbean component? Again, no idea. Compare to the description of their whisky, the grains and milling, fermentation, water and distillation - they absolutely do make their whisky.

But as for their rum? Time for an email, I think.

Remember that these so-called "artisan" distillers often do NOT make all their products, although most do make at least one of them. For example Phil Prichard makes his own rum - and charges dearly for it - but one of his VERY expensive bourbons is - yup - sourced and bulk.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

I hope they respond to your email. I will be curious as to how they respond.