Rum Review: Alleyne Arthur's Special Barbados Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Alleyne Arthur's Special Barbados Rum (5 is best)?

50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Alleyne Arthur's Special Barbados Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Alleyne Arthur's Special Barbados Rum: "Kickin' Butterscotch"

I love surprises.

And on yet another of my forays within the amazing Total Wine & Spirits emporium of hangovers, specifically the rum section, I happened upon a new rum from Barbados, the home of rum. Better yet, the price - $15. And way better yet, the distiller: Richard Seale at Foursquare.

Actually Alleyne Arthur was one of a number of smaller distillers remaining on Barbados, producing their "Special Barbados Rum" and the Brigand rums. Seales took over in 1993 and these named rums continue to be produced under the Alleyne Arthur name. Discovering the Special Barbados Rum was a treat, as we have come to respect anything made under Seales as generally superior. Yet, there was another attraction to this offering.

At Total Wine, the shelf talker claimed "made from cane juice, not molasses". (Note: this proved incorrect, see email from Richard Seale, below).

Now this was something! A cane juice rum from Barbados, from Richard Seale yet, simply must be explored. We were dying to see what a master could do with cane juice, so here we go...

Sue Sea:
It's no secret that I really love Richard Seales, particularly his Seale's 10 Year molasses rum, one of only three rums I have rated "10", and my personal favorite (along with Rum San Pablo). Over the last year or so I have also developed a growing taste for earthy and authentic cane juice rums. So when Jim found the Special Barbados, a claimed "cane juice rum", sign me up!

Alleyne Arthur's Special Barbados Rum comes in an unpretentious, simple classic bottle, and equally simple gold label, featuring a windmill, cane and plantation. A non pretentious, screw top bottle.

Special Barbados opened with a crisp, fresh caney aroma, over a vanilla. I noted a nice slight "tartness", like a cut green apple, and a background of light leather. The front palate was a fresh wispy honey and bit of butterscotch, followed by a growing clove heat, with a touch of cinnamon and ginger. It concluded in a crecendo of spicy heat, white pepper and had what I call an exhale, along with a lip finish. I remember my childhood when my great-great Aunt Laudy gave me butterscotch hard candies that were not particularly sweet but full of butterscotch flavor, and that left a lingering dry aftertaste.

If I didn't know better, I call this a Cuban style rum. It is very well balanced and finishes in the Cuban manner. Muy caliente! Now mind you, we've had rums that are nothing but heat, but this rum by Seale is balanced beautifully, his signature as far as I'm concerned.

It's approachable, not boring and has the "I want another sip" finish, like all great rums. I don't know how he does it, but Richard's rums all seem to have this quality.
Me:

A very interesting rum I must say. The rum presents as a light clear amber with fast legs and leaving a pearl necklace. Do take care to nose with care and start high as there was a bit of alcohol prickle deep. The aroma is quite pleasant, a honeyed cane over a hint of what I call deep tar (and which Sue Sea calls leather). In subsequent nosings I found the spice that later arises. I love a rum that teases in this fashion.

The brief early palate is sweet and honeyed, quickly supplanted by a sweet and aggressive growing heat that quickly transitions from clove, to black and then to white pepper. A nice chest and lip warming astringent dry finish.

Except for the claim that this is a cane juice rum, I'd be tempted to place this in the Cuban style. Like Barbancourt Five Star and Montecristo, this rum proves that cane juice rums don't have to be as limited as the overpriced French rhums by regulation.

Rating (ten is best): Sue Sea - 9, Me - solid 8.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mysteries of life and rum...

A recent Scuttlebutt thread (http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?p=3206) raised the issue of a Total Wine description that implied this rum might be spiced. It is not - the TW description is really unclear. But in checking this out, I found this:
Difford's Guide: "This old Barbadian rum brand was originally produced at the Hopefield Sugar Plantation and is now made from a blend of pot and column distilled, molasses based rums by R. L. Seale & Company."
Keep in mind that it was also Total Wine whose shelf talker described Special Barbados as being made from cane juice. This of course is a world of difference from Difford's claim. Accordingly, I've written Richard (Seale) for the facts. Stay tuned...

Capn's Addendum: see Richard Seales Speaks, below...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Wow, those new taxes in FL must be killing your prices, TW in Atlanta has that rum for $11. I will have to have my friend procure me some next time he goes down to visit his wife.

Edit : Oops I didn't notice that the original post was almost 4 years old.
Last edited by NCyankee on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

$11 here too
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Prices have changed...

Of course this is an old review, and if memory serves me, Seale lowered the prices of all of his products. Without checking I'm sure our TW has the same price, but if it's any different you'll hear about it...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Richard Seale speaks...

"Hi Capn Jimbo !

Thanks for the kind comments on Alleyne Arthur Special Barbados Rum.

This is one of the oldest brands of rum in Barbados and is generally not exported. Only our atypical direct arrangement with Total Wine has allowed this brand of rum to the US market.

To your questions :

1. [pot or column] A blend of both (as all of our rums)
2. [basis] Molasses ( you sure the shelf talker said "juice", maybe they intended to say "sugar cane" and got lost in translation somewhere.)
3. [additives/flavorings] NONE !!!!! (as all of our rums)
4. [age] 2/3 year blend (making it older than 95% of the rums on the market).

Diffords is usually pretty spot on. Trust this helps.

Richard"

I do believe this should clarify any misrepresentations by Total Wine once and for all. Of particular note is Richard's statement "2/3 year blend (making it older than 95% of the rums on the market)"!

That good friends is a very powerful observation by a well known and highly respected distiller. This only adds to the fact that "rum" as it is dumped on the public is mostly a very young, highly altered spirit. Such is life.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I also noticed the age statement - and yes, I believe the gentleman is correct. 95% of what I call "commercial" rum is nothing but a big hoax as far as age and additives. This is a unique "issue" in the spirits world, and one I'd like to see corrected asap.
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

I'm having some tonight. This is a really great light rum. It definitely reminds me of cane juice rums. This is a true bargain.
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

I realize that this topic is 2 years old, but this is a quality rum for a crazy low price! If you have a Total Wine near you, you have to try this rum for $13. Digging its nice warm signature of Barbadian goodness.
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent