Puerto rican 10 year rums

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
mamajuana
Admiral

Puerto rican 10 year rums

Post by mamajuana »

Recently Both Bacardi and Don q released some older stocks of rum.

Don Q 2005 vintage 10 years old 40%.

Bacardi 10 year old 2004 vintage 40%.

First the don Q - 40$

This rum lacks strong aroma somewhat subtle a bit of fruit and candy on top of the alcoholic breeze. Taste is very average, rather smooth not much heat, but the main taste on the palate is alcohol. There is some fleeting spice in the finish maybe some candy on the mid palate but this is a very average rum. Less heat than its younger Anjeo possibly but also seemingly less barrel influence and flavor in general. We get a small hit of spice no intensity. A short finish leads this to some oak and spice that is fleeting on the end. Lacks any complexity. Smooth yet bland.

Bacardi 10 year 2004 vintage - 19$

The nose is complex I'm getting ripe cherry's, caramel, chocolate cake, quite intense on the nose. On the tongue this spirit takes you through a radio wave going up and down. There is an intensity and a great flavor it starts with that same dark cherry, goes into some very nice barrel flavor full of spice. The finish is quite nice on this and rather strong. This rum has a complexity to it, closer to an older bajan rum than a Spanish style.

Overall for half the price Bacardi 2004 vintage destroys Don Q easily. If you run into either of these limited editions I would sway far away from Don Q but embrace the Bacardi 10 year edition. I would add that the don Q is a single barrel while the Bacardi is a blend with rums far older than 10 years according the seller.

Either way this Bacardi release is a steal at the 19 dollars I paid for it and worth trying. I hate to say that I paid 40 for the Don Q which seemed like an aged vodka, using very tired barrels, and lacking anything in the way of a rum like flavor.