Ragged Mountain Rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Ragged Mountain Rum

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Hey hey...just an FYI for you fellow rum lovers.

I found this on my PA state store website and decided to order two bottles. There is precious little info on their website but from what I was able to gather from other sources it is a craft distilled pot still rum that is aged between 2 and 3 years. I sent an email to the distiller with the following questions and I will let you know if/when he responds and what his answers are.

1. How long is the rum aged?
2. Are there any additives? Sugar, caramel coloring, etc…
3. How is this distilled? Pot still?

The info I gathered was not on their site so I figured I would ask them and see if their info matches what is on the net about the rum.

http://berkshiremountaindistillers.com/ ... ain-rum-2/

I ordered two bottles of it and a bottle of their bourbon. I'll let you know what I think when I get it.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Posted at their site, above...

. . . . . . .Image

This particular still appears to be a modified pot with a tall column, leading to a typical condenser. What I find interesting is that I can't seem to find any visible copper (unless the condenser uses copper tubing, or perhaps the column uses copper packing).

In any case, it is not obvious. Based on their production of gin and vodka, I believe this distillery either has to be using lots of packing for maximum reflux - or - like others, purchasing bulk vodka or GNS which is then redistilled.

Their answer will be interesting. Don't hesitate to follow up, and/or give em a call...
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Still no reply...I'll keep you updated if one arrives.

On a side note, the rum is *very* good. I'll post full details in a few days.