Plantation Haiti XO

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
mamajuana
Admiral

Plantation Haiti XO

Post by mamajuana »

Hello, its been a while since I have posted here. I felt the need to post after a recent rum purchase. In Buffalo we rarely get something off the normal rum channels. We did at one store I visit get the Plantation Haiti XO. While the store had no legitimate bottles of Barbancourt, I felt I should give this bottle a try.

This bottle had a clear age statement which caused me to purchase it. It stated 8 years in bourbon barrels in the tropics and 3 years in "ferrand casks" which in this case are white pineaue casks. It states cask 13 bottle number 348. This seems to mean these "rare" offerings are not so much these days. Or possibly after my questioning of so many bottles from the same cask they have changes their marketing.

Onto the nosing here, nothing from any rum I have ever had. Very hard to describe we get some wine and some metallic notes.

The tasting here is quite similar. We have a very strange aged wine and metallic finish on this one. Very not rum at all. Its very, very strange to me. This is not rum. I don't know what this is. Possibly why a "single cask" ended up in Buffalo.

Sugar test will be had on this tomorrow, I do not feel its high, but there is some sugar here.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Very intriguing product and equally so for the profile, which seems atypical. Based on these I rather doubt the distiller is Barbancourt, which leads me to presume this may be an aged clarin?

But clarins are rarely aged, so the mystery continues. What is the color? And do please complete the sugar test...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

The test concluded 14 MG of sugar. This is not a bottling I can recommend to anyone at its price point even given its age statement. Its just too odd in profile and while it is an easy sipper given the sugar additives it may not be otherwise.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

This rum is priced at 47.00 per bottle.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks... will add to the Master Sugar List...

It seems that Plantation just can't resist facking things up with deadening, smoothing, smothering sugar. What a shame.