Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum
Rum Appreciation by and for the Compleat Idiot

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plantation Haiti XO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Uncommon Styles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamajuana
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Plantation Haiti XO Reply with quote

Hello, its been a while since I have posted here. I felt the need to post after a recent rum purchase. In Buffalo we rarely get something off the normal rum channels. We did at one store I visit get the Plantation Haiti XO. While the store had no legitimate bottles of Barbancourt, I felt I should give this bottle a try.

This bottle had a clear age statement which caused me to purchase it. It stated 8 years in bourbon barrels in the tropics and 3 years in "ferrand casks" which in this case are white pineaue casks. It states cask 13 bottle number 348. This seems to mean these "rare" offerings are not so much these days. Or possibly after my questioning of so many bottles from the same cask they have changes their marketing.

Onto the nosing here, nothing from any rum I have ever had. Very hard to describe we get some wine and some metallic notes.

The tasting here is quite similar. We have a very strange aged wine and metallic finish on this one. Very not rum at all. Its very, very strange to me. This is not rum. I don't know what this is. Possibly why a "single cask" ended up in Buffalo.

Sugar test will be had on this tomorrow, I do not feel its high, but there is some sugar here.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very intriguing product and equally so for the profile, which seems atypical. Based on these I rather doubt the distiller is Barbancourt, which leads me to presume this may be an aged clarin?

But clarins are rarely aged, so the mystery continues. What is the color? And do please complete the sugar test...

Go to Save Caribbean Rum Petition!
mamajuana
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test concluded 14 MG of sugar. This is not a bottling I can recommend to anyone at its price point even given its age statement. Its just too odd in profile and while it is an easy sipper given the sugar additives it may not be otherwise.
mamajuana
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rum is priced at 47.00 per bottle.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... will add to the Master Sugar List...

It seems that Plantation just can't resist facking things up with deadening, smoothing, smothering sugar. What a shame.

Go to Save Caribbean Rum Petition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Uncommon Styles All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: