That time of year - Single Malt Irish Whiskey

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
mamajuana
Admiral

That time of year - Single Malt Irish Whiskey

Post by mamajuana »

It is that time of year again the Irish time. During this time I take off my my typical spirits mainly being rum foremost and scotch second. This year I decided to try a few higher price points working my way up year by year. I will be starting with the single malt selections I made then moving into the blended whiskey.

I chose 3 single malts. I chose my single malts based on age statement offering. I chose West cork 10 year bourbon cask, Knappogue Castle 12 year bourbon cask limited release, and a dust bottle of the Irishman single malt with an age statement of over 10 years. While I do understand in some ways these malts are quite different this is my starting point for others wishing to get an Irish Whiskey during this time of year to suit their needs.

Without further talk I'll get into my thoughts on each.

West Cork 10 year single malt $38.00 -

The strongest and most promising nose of the three. Open this bottle and everyone in the room knows its open very pungent, its best quality. Robust flavor upfront with some slight edge to it. It is not complex it has one nice strong note in the middle palate. Nice strong whiskey here but its finish is short lived.

6/10

Knappogue Castle 12 year limited release $50-

This has a more subdued nosing to it rather similar to the west cork but not as strong. The tasting offers us fresh green fruits and citrus fruits upfront with a mild finish. Think of this as the west cork but without edges and with fruit in the mix.

8/10

The Irishman single malt bottle V3173 aged over 10 years $49-

Very strong nosing of oak and sherry along with some bourbon overtones. Easy going down with the fruit and spice clearly gliding over the alcohol. Very balanced at all times between its bourbon and sherry character. A finish that goes on and on very long finish of spices leading to a sweetness. Very well produced and priced. By Far the best of the three. There is just too much going on for me to get into detail here before St. Paddys, but this is the best of these three single malts that I can say for certain. Just make sure its the bottle with the age statement as the newer bottles offer none and I can't vouch for them. If you like rum this is your bottle.

10/10
bearmark
Beermeister

Redbreast Lustau

Post by bearmark »

The most interesting new Irish Whiskey I've heard about lately is the new Redbreast expression, Lustau. Like all Redbreast whiskies, it's single pot stilled. The new twist is that this is sherry finished for a full year (first-fill Oloroso sherry butts). I've heard great things about this whiskey, but I've yet to taste it (it was on the schedule for last week, but I missed the tasting because I was sick). I guess I'll have to spring for a bottle this year at about $60.

My favorite Irish Whiskey to date is Powers John's Lane at about $70.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)