Local Craft Beer

The problem with beer was that it wouldn't survive a long voyage, ergo rum and other distilled spirits. Still, beer later became a wondrous thing, with each community having its own unique brewery and style. We were loyal! That changed, but of late, Craft Brewing appeared and gone mad - with over 3000 of the buggers and 100's of weekly new releases, ergo a blood, er beerbath is in the offing. Until then - this section...
bearmark
Beermeister

Local Craft Beer

Post by bearmark »

I want to encourage everyone to explore local craft beer. You might be surprised at what you'll find. Sure, there are the well-known craft brewers who distribute regionally or even nationwide, but sometimes they're really good brews are hard to find.

I regularly sample local brews at pubs just to see what they're up to and what kind of styles they're brewing. Today, I'm trying out the first bottled offerings (draft only until now) from 903 Brewers in Sherman, TX: (1) Sasquatch Chocolate Milk Stout, (2) The Chosen One Coconut Ale and (3) Sugar on Top IPA. All of them are solid and the stout and IPA are very good. The locals have taken to blending (like a black and tan) Sasquatch and The Chosen One and they call it, "Almond Joy." I tried it too and it's pretty good.

How 'bout you? What local brews have you discovered?
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

The DC area has quite a lot as of late:

In the city:
DC Brau
Atlas
3 Stars
Chocolate City

Then in the suburbs, at a minimum:

Old Dominion
Port City
Devil's Backbone
Sly Fox

All are quite good...and of course Dogfish Head is semi-local, which is awesome since they may be my favorite American brewery
GregS
Greaser

Post by GregS »

Take a look around at what is around. In Maryland, the laws have change to make it much easier for breweries to serve directly to the public. I tend to hit the small places. I can get the big brewery's beer on tap anyplace, some of the small ones are very limited on where you can try their beer.

Heavy Seas has great beer. Stop at their taphouse for their latest beer and one of their stable beers on cask. And no, not a small brewery.
Jailbreak Brewing Company does a lot of experimenting. A lot of very interesting brews.
Falling Branch Brewery, a small 4 person operation north of Bel Air that is on their farm. Open just on Saturday and they are always packed.
Independent Brewing is in Bel Air, I've never had a beer from them that I didn't like.
South County Brewing in Fawn Grove, PA is another small brewery that makes some pretty good brews.
Rum newbie interested in experiencing what the world of rum has to offer.
RumRatings profile