Rhum Agricole recommendation for a newbie

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!
GregS
Greaser

Rhum Agricole recommendation for a newbie

Post by GregS »

As I said in my intro post, I'm new to rum and trying to figure out what it available and what I like. I keep hearing that Agricole isn't good for newbies, but can anyone recommend an agricole to start with? Something that's a good representation of the style.
Rum newbie interested in experiencing what the world of rum has to offer.
RumRatings profile
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A good question. It's a matter of taste and previous experience. Unfortunately rogue rum is full of fraud and cheating, with unlabeled additives and flavorings that have nothing to with reality or real rum.

Many are sugar bombs, not to mention secret adulteration with glycerol, wine, and artificial flavorings. The regulars here are very well aware of these cheaters, and I must urge you to go to the sugar section and there you will see over 700 tests of rums that reveal which distillers cheat and which are honest.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Start with Barbancourt 5 Star (8 Year). It's a great introductory cane juice rum at a great price.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
GregS
Greaser

Post by GregS »

I have Barbancourt bolded in my EverNote list of rum to try.
Rum newbie interested in experiencing what the world of rum has to offer.
RumRatings profile
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I would highly recommend that you buy the Barbancourt White, the 3 Star (4 yrs. old) and the 5 Star (8 years). The beauty of this is that the Barbancourt unaltered, world class cane juice rums are not only pure, but you can do a vertical comparison of the effects of aging.

A grand way to not only explore the cane juice style but also the wonderful effects of quality barrel aging...