Black is the new Orange: Is Tate the new Trump?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Black is the new Orange: Is Tate the new Trump?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's been ages...

...since I've decapitated few if any memory cells to even think of Messr. Chip Tate, the Chipster. Why he came to mind cannot be explained, but once invaded by those memories I simply hadda check him out. What I found was a new Trump? Both were mad for publicity. Both might illustrate the dreaded N-word, ie narcissistic? Or not? Both seemed to rise like North Korean tests, but then to fall just as fast. But there appears to be one difference...

Trump did the firing, and the Chipster was on the receiving end. Although he might claim he quit. And when it was ending - with a flurry of lawsuits, Tate made clear he was gonna hit the ground running and immediately start producing an, um, Texas brandy.

Whatever that is. But that was way, way back (check the Wayback Machine) in 2015. It's now two years later and although this brazen bubba kept pumping out media mentions like Bacardi produces artificially flavored faux rums, I've yet to see a product with his name on it.

WTF?! Can it be? Two years later and all that puffery went, well "puff", like a good smoke ring and that lasted just as long, one might observe. So I reach out to all our readers as I'd love to hear that Tate stopped talking (Sept 16, 2016 per his site) and started bottling and selling. That would be a good thing.

Anybody seen anything? Anywhere? Any time? Eh?

http://tatedistillery.com/
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon May 01, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Sorry to disappoint you, but his Facebook posts suggest that a brandy release is coming soon and a single malt whisky is rumored. From what I understand, he's been building custom stills in the meantime. Aside from a couple of interviews and an article that he wrote, he's been fairly quiet for the past couple of years from my perspective.

PS - I believe that a Texas Brandy is a brandy made from fruit that has been grown in Texas.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

That's good news...

And if I'm disappointed, it's that he still hasn't produced anything of note.

The talk was that the distilling of "Texas Brandy" would begin nearly two years ago. The walk is that the product still is not on the market. Until this guy walks the walk, it remains "suggested" and "rumoured"... just talk.

Which there seems to have been plenty of, and sadly continues. A shame really. I honestly would like to see this gentleman succeed. As for now...

I'll check back in another two years. Thanks for, well, thanks...

Oops note: if a brandy made from fruit grown in Texas is a "Texas Brandy", then Houston we have a problem in that a bunch of "Caribbean" rums are made with - urp - Brazilian molasses, lol.... Maybe Seagrams had it right...
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I don't know how long he plans to age the brandy, but 1-2 years sounds likely and the maturity date must be quickly approaching if he was able to put back product from the new still back when he completed it. Details have been hard to come by, but I'll let you know when I hear of any release.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Winston »

From what I understand he hasn't applied for a DSP yet. That process takes months. I can see his building when I drive to the airport in Waco but hardly notice anything happening.
Winston
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Winston »

Well whaddya know... spoke (just barely) too soon

https://whiskycast.com/chip-tate-gets-f ... g-forward/
Capn Jimbo

Promises, promises...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The rumours of my death are greatly exaggerated - details elsewhere - but in the mean, here's a few juicy quotes...

In retrospect it was hard to believe the amazing amount of hype way back when Tate was going to "make whiskey great again", lol, or would that better be to "make great whiskey again".

As is true of Trump as well - whose standard answer to almost all his many promises - is "wait and see, we have a fantastic plan which we'll reveal, uh, in two weeks". Ad infinitum. Tate is not much better.

Three years ago Tate held that he was and would walk on water. Everybody was reported as somehow being against him. All manner of threats were made, lawsuits filed and what really happened?

Nada.

When he was shown the door, he was already claiming that he was already prepared to distill and bottle yet another wet dream - this time of "Texas Brandy". That was well over two years ago. Like Trump, the best evidence is the man's own words. From the linked article:
"July 5, 2017 – The often-delayed debut of maverick distiller Chip Tate’s second act in the whisky business is a step closer to fruition, now that Tate & Company has received its Distilled Spirits Plant permit from the Treasury Department’s Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau....

"“We still have some of the local permits to get, and that’s in process, but we’ll have to wait until all of that wraps up before we can actually start producing and storing anything here," said Tate.

"Barring something really unforeseen, catastrophic, it should be first quarter next year, but we’re going to shoot for the beginning of next year,” Tate said. "
Yup, real soon now. The article features a picture of a smiling Tate and a small coterie of associates standing in an empty, half-built still.

https://i1.wp.com/whiskycast.com/wp-con ... C402&ssl=1

Empty. How appropriate.