Coffee flavored rum drinks

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!
GregS
Greaser

Coffee flavored rum drinks

Post by GregS »

So I was in Total Wine the other day. They had a sale on George Ocean Coffee Rum. I know that George Ocean white rum reviews really well, so I figured I'd give it a try. Now that I have it home, I have no idea what to use it in. I have no idea what drinks would be good for a coffee rum.

When I search for coffee rum, I find a lot of recipes for coffee drinks with rum added. But not a lot for coffee rum.

Any suggestions?
Rum newbie interested in experiencing what the world of rum has to offer.
RumRatings profile
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I'm not a mixed drink guy, with the occasional exception of a good dirty martini, but a simple search will turn up a ton of them:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=recipes+ ... ia=recipes

I do want to address the "George Rums" though. This is basicly yet another of a seemingly endless series of made up product, themselves made up by marketing companies, in this case
Dynasty Spirits:

http://dynastyspirits.com/company.html

There are any number of such companies that believe they can buy bulk rum made elsewhere, then fudge it up with added sugar, artificial and other flavors and the like - then develop a romantic but empty storyline and viola!

The buying public is again led to purchase yet another highly modified bottle of so-called "rum". To me these products are endless and have little value. There isn't one of us who could buy a good and pure white rum and flavor it ourselves to taste, but using real flavors from real fruits, coffee beans, quality sugar and the like.

"George" rum - to their credit - is priced at $12.95 - they must believe they can do volume at a price point where quality is questionable, but where buyers don't really care. Party hearty they say...

http://www.georgeoceanrum.com/
GregS
Greaser

Post by GregS »

Yeah, I know it's not great stuff. However, I drink what I like and like to try other stuff. This tastes much better than Kahlua to me and will probably replace it in the drinks that I would use that in.
Rum newbie interested in experiencing what the world of rum has to offer.
RumRatings profile
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Indeed...

It becomes a matter of personal taste. We like what we like. Although I have to credit those few distillers who honestly label their rums as flavored - and - who also use authentic real flavors and spices. Even rarer - very few - are the distillers who use a good aged rum as the base.

Almost none of them do. They buy thin, industrial bulk white rum - rather harsh and lacking any good character at all - and then they add tons of sugar to cut the harshness, plus highly engineered artificial flavors to trick them up. Add an enticing marketing story, promotion, bottle and presentation and some of these cheepo products are then sold for serious money.

A shame.

If you ever get a chance to try Brinley's Coconut (hard to find) you'll get the difference. I spoke with Zack Brinley and learned they use real coconut and what a difference that makes. It's quite sweet - they love sugar down there - but tastes very real. Great stuff. One of the Columbian distillers actually flavored a good seven year old, with real Columbian coffee - the difference again, was amazing.

The real shame is the literally hundreds of bullshit artificial flavor bombs that are constantly invented by the marketing departments. Most disappear from the market, as its hard to steal share from old, and well known brands.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

My first drink was a White Russian (2 parts vodka, 1 part Kahlua and splash of cream) and I've been a fan ever since, although I'm more inclined to have a Black Russian (sans cream) these days. Kahlua has an artificial and overly sweet flavor to me, so I've explored different coffee flavored rums as substitutes and here's what I've found:
  • Starbucks coffee liqueur was a great substitute, but is no longer available... I'm on my next to last bottle now.
  • Brinley Coffee Rum has a nice coffee flavor, but isn't intense in flavor enough to stand up to twice the amount of vodka. You'll have to flip the ratio to twice as much Coffee Rum, but it still doesn't taste right. I like Brinley's better on it's own as a sweet sipper.
  • I found a real coffee liqueur in Knoxville, TN called, Cold City Old Brew Coffee Liqueur that tastes more like coffee than any I've found, but it's not very sweet. I failed at my first attempt to make a White Russian and haven't gotten around to another attempt, but I have plans to acquire a bottle and explore it further.
  • Santa Teresa makes a decent coffee liqueur that I find to be superior to Kahlua called, Araku. It usually costs a few dollars more as well, but that's the most readily available option for me that offers an improvement of Kahlua.
I hope this helps in exploring the George Ocean Coffee Rum.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

FWIW...

Just remembered the 7 years aged Juan Santos rum from Columbia, that is infused with real Columbian coffee. This - as I remember - was a real and rare treat. The bad news is that I haven't seen one on the shelves for some years now...
SlowRain
Oscar

Post by SlowRain »

There's a coffee-infused rum from La Colombe called Different Drum Rum. I've never had it, though, so I can't comment on it.