Doorly's 12yr

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Doorly's 12yr

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Picked up a bottle of this a few days ago at Total Wine.

The bottle is typical Doorly's, squat with a Macaw on the label. The Macaw on this one is an ultra rare bird, clearly denoting the rum inside is rare and special. I must admit that I was a tad disappointed that this didn't have a cork top. It's not a big deal and obviously I would rather have the money go into the rum instead of that package, but still....

The nose on this rum is disappointing, I must admit. There is none of the molasses/fruit of most rums. Instead the nose is of wood and spice...but it's faint.

Flavor is very nice. The wood and spice is again, front and center. But then it fades into a beautiful ripe fruit and finishes with a really nice peppery spice that lasts forever. It's a beautiful rum that is worth every penny and more. But it wasn't better than Seales 10. The 12 is drier and less complex.

Last edited by edgarallanpoe on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice review and pics, much appreciated (as is the comparison to the S-10...
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Thanks Capt. This one has me scratching my head. I really thought I would like it more than I did. Unfortunately, I think that this is an example of a rum that may have been aged a tad too long and the wood has taken over as the predominant flavoring.

I am going to do a tasting with Doorly's XO and the 5 year as well so we can see the impact that age has on this particular rum.

To be fair, as you can see in the pic, this was a new bottle and maybe it will loosen up a bit as the bottle airs out. I did allow the rum to air for about 15-20 minutes before I sampled.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, but I'm always careful not to accuse something of being over-oaked.

It's too easily-accepted a criticism/scapegoat, when barrel-aging factors are very complex and all over the map.

I think it would be hard to over-oak something in used cooperage in 12yrs, even a Caribbean 12yrs.

I mean, nobody is calling the 18yr+ cask strength Veliers over-oaked...

Seale's Rum Sixty-Six is fantastic, and it's 12yrs old from the same distillery and aging warehouses.

I haven't tried the Doorly's 12 yet, and I'm interested to see how it differs. Would be interested to see what you thought of a Sixty-six.

I'll keep your review in mind when I get a chance to try the D12 and report back.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

I would love to try the 66 but it isn't available anywhere near me...unfortunately.

I hear you about the "over oaking". I don't disagree. That's why I thought a side by side tasting would be in order.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I am in Florida on vacation and took the opportunity to stock up on a shi- err, boat-load of Seale's stuff.

I stopped at TW Sunday and grabbed bottles of Cockspur 12 yr and Doorly's 12 yr. Both are outstanding, and in a side-by-side the Doorly's held up well - enough so that I couldn't justify going back for more of the Cockspur at $30 when the Doorly's is about 2/3 that price.
DEF
Cabin Boy

Re: Doorly's 12yr

Post by DEF »

Just got back to Florida and picked up a bottle. I can taste the oak but I don't think it's anyway near over oaked. I like oak so there is that.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

RE:OAK- I think it's more of a personal preference. I too rarely drink the 12 straight as I find it oak forward and so I usually buy the 8 yo instead, but I do use them both at times to dilute the high % Foursquares down a bit. There is somewhat of a running joke in my circle about diluting with the 40% because of this, but I think it works well.
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You've raised an interesting issue: ie the adding of water...

It's fair to say that very few tasters would routinely add water to a 40% (80 proof), as the truth is the spirits that need some water are those bottled at cask strength. However, it is also fair to say that water does - chemically - release flavors, and in the end and as they say - your circus and your monkeys. It so happens I've been a long, long fan of Ralfy of whiskey fame and was recently gifted his (first?) book: "Search for a Whisky Bothy"

Interjection: a "bothy" is the equivalent of a small shed or hut built for travelers or farm workers.

It's really the story of his life and how he came to truly love Scotch whisky especially and thence to finally establish his You Tube channel of reviews. The notion of "place" is very important to him, and like real reviewers, he buys every single one of those he reviews. He has zero trust in the marketing departments and hopped up "samples" that may or may not represent the actual retail product. But I digress...

Water. Although he would agree that water is more intended for barrel strength whiskies (and surely overproofs), he talks about what he calls the "bliss point" where smell and taste connect in perfect harmony. He makes clear this point is NOT reached by adding what he'd consider a gross amount of water, for example a teaspoon. He strongly believes that this bliss point is reached by carefully adding "drop by drop". He concludes that once a spirit has been overwatered, it's all over, and you can no longer recover by say adding whisky.

I have come to the conclusion that none of the rum sites I know of do this - and they should. Good whisky reviewers - the best ones - are VERY aware of the water issue. D

Bottom Line:
This is worth trying, and I have no objection with the 12. Please be sure to let us all know what happened - drop by drop, eh?
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

I do often add water to those above say 60%, but sometimes I Add medium-aged 40% rum to rums from the same distillery(mainly Worthy Park and FS as my go to regulars) to proof down to my tastes. It's different than adding water and imo, changes the spirit less. I think it doesn't "open" as much or as soon, but the finish is more enjoyable for me. I've also gone the other way (staying with Foursquare here) added some of the FS pot still (66%) to 40%ers like Doorly's 5. Gives it a nice punch.
I usually don't add drop by drop, but I use a tiny spoon. I agree that if you water too much you never get it back. I'm a big fan of Ralfy as well ( I just received that book as a gift last month) even though I don't buy a lot of scotch, I just appreciate his insights into spirits in general. He's certainly genuine.
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for your input...

Oddly enough, I received my copy also for my birthday (Search for a Whisky Both: Ralfy). By the way I ran across a neat article that discusses the releasing of flavors by adding 5ml - 10ml - 15 ml. I used to follow Ian Wisniewski at Scotchwhisky.com - excellent resource - who interviewed a couple of master blenders; then compared a Glenmorangie Original (lighter, sweeter, finished in Sherry barrels) with a Laphroig 10 yr. (smoky, heavier, deeper)...

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/featu ... to-whisky/