Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum
Rum Appreciation by and for the Compleat Idiot

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doorly's 12yr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Barbadian/Bajan Rum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Doorly's 12yr Reply with quote

Picked up a bottle of this a few days ago at Total Wine.

The bottle is typical Doorly's, squat with a Macaw on the label. The Macaw on this one is an ultra rare bird, clearly denoting the rum inside is rare and special. I must admit that I was a tad disappointed that this didn't have a cork top. It's not a big deal and obviously I would rather have the money go into the rum instead of that package, but still....

The nose on this rum is disappointing, I must admit. There is none of the molasses/fruit of most rums. Instead the nose is of wood and spice...but it's faint.

Flavor is very nice. The wood and spice is again, front and center. But then it fades into a beautiful ripe fruit and finishes with a really nice peppery spice that lasts forever. It's a beautiful rum that is worth every penny and more. But it wasn't better than Seales 10. The 12 is drier and less complex.

Last edited by edgarallanpoe on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review and pics, much appreciated (as is the comparison to the S-10...

Go to Save Caribbean Rum Petition!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Capt. This one has me scratching my head. I really thought I would like it more than I did. Unfortunately, I think that this is an example of a rum that may have been aged a tad too long and the wood has taken over as the predominant flavoring.

I am going to do a tasting with Doorly's XO and the 5 year as well so we can see the impact that age has on this particular rum.

To be fair, as you can see in the pic, this was a new bottle and maybe it will loosen up a bit as the bottle airs out. I did allow the rum to air for about 15-20 minutes before I sampled.
The Black Tot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, but I'm always careful not to accuse something of being over-oaked.

It's too easily-accepted a criticism/scapegoat, when barrel-aging factors are very complex and all over the map.

I think it would be hard to over-oak something in used cooperage in 12yrs, even a Caribbean 12yrs.

I mean, nobody is calling the 18yr+ cask strength Veliers over-oaked...

Seale's Rum Sixty-Six is fantastic, and it's 12yrs old from the same distillery and aging warehouses.

I haven't tried the Doorly's 12 yet, and I'm interested to see how it differs. Would be interested to see what you thought of a Sixty-six.

I'll keep your review in mind when I get a chance to try the D12 and report back.
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to try the 66 but it isn't available anywhere near me...unfortunately.

I hear you about the "over oaking". I don't disagree. That's why I thought a side by side tasting would be in order.
NCyankee
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Florida on vacation and took the opportunity to stock up on a shi- err, boat-load of Seale's stuff.

I stopped at TW Sunday and grabbed bottles of Cockspur 12 yr and Doorly's 12 yr. Both are outstanding, and in a side-by-side the Doorly's held up well - enough so that I couldn't justify going back for more of the Cockspur at $30 when the Doorly's is about 2/3 that price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Barbadian/Bajan Rum All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: