Sailabout Dept: my 230 bottle collection can be yours!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

... at sea, who cares?!?!??!?

Find a calm anchorage, hang the hammock and screw it all! :D
Jordahl
Landlubber

Post by Jordahl »

I like today.

That's a beauty!
Last edited by Jordahl on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Indeed it is...

This is the iconic Allied Seawind II, a 32' true oceangoing design. Nice high bulwarks, modified full keel, flexible ketch (two masts) allow many different sail combinations, etc.

Replacement cost is probably $180K, but used (well maintained) for around $30K or less (yes this one too).

Lovely boat, have seen two (pre-Irma) that really rang our bells, was about to buy a
Seawind just a week before the hurricane... after inspecting nearly 50 sailboats of this and other good designs...

Tx for your comment.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

How did you do re Irma?

We didn't get much of it here in Tallahassee although the water being pulled out in St. Marks, Panacea and Apalachicola was interesting.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Exited Florida/Naples for parts north, along with over a million other Floridians - thus took over 14 hours to get to Georgia from Orlando. Later over 5 million Floridians were ordered to evacuate.

Nearly impossible to find a room south of Indiana, a few in Kentucky, so we ended up in Chicago. The Keys will take ten years to rebuild. The rest of Florida suffered widespread wind damage, with literally hundreds of "mini-tornado's" - small in diameter, but devastating to anything still in their path.

Electricity is still out for millions, longer gas lines (up to 4 hours) in many places, getting around is difficult with a checkerboard of fallen trees, powerlines, debris of all kinds everywhere, blocking streets, etc.

Still looking for the sailboat, but up north, as many hundreds of boats were damaged seriously and will be superficially refinished and sold elsewhere.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

My inlaws, their friends and relatives and relatives and friends of mine went through something similar in Katrina. One person I know lived in Waveland, MS which was pretty much blown off the map. Fortunately he evacuated to Houston before the storm. They ended up staying with relatives in Memphis and eventually moved back living in a "Katrina house" (pretty much a government mini-rv) for over a year. Eventually they got their house rebuilt. It's been just over 12 years now and there are still areas that have not rebuilt. Plaquemines Parish in southeast Louisiana had 100% destruction. My inlaws home in Gulfport, MS had a 25 foot storm surge which covered the house. That house was solidly built and although structurally standing the mold and interior damage made it uninhabitable. They also went through Camille in 69 and the water there got up to the top of their station wagon. My father-in-law was thinking he would have to chop a hole in the carport ceiling and get his daughters and wife to a safer place if the water got any higher. Their friend's house just a couple of blocks away was a few feet higher and thusly took on no water. So they figured if they stayed at their friend's home (who was out of town on a trip to relatives) they'd be safe and dry. However the reality was they still got water up to their waists. Took 3 days before the National Guard got to them. My mother-in-law needed treatment for her diabetes and during those three days my father-in-law fell and broke his arm in 3 places. They evacuated both of them to Birmingham via helicopter and took them both to the hospital. My sister-in-law, who lived a couple of miles away and rode out the storm in a house built in the 1930's and was only a quarter mile from the coast, would take a canoe and paddle out to her parents's house to try to salvage as much as she could (wasn't much). She told us she was going to stay with friends in north Gulfport but didn't -- I believe God protected her because I saw satellite photos of the area she lived in and on each side of her property for about 2 blocks was okay but everything beyond that was effectively gone.

Pardon my lengthy post but I emphasize greatly with all those greatly and devastatingly affected by Irma. I've been through a few hurricanes myself (the worst being Hurricane Frederic where I actually experienced the eye of the hurricane late at night -- that's an eerie experience). I am doing as much as I can up here in Tallahassee. I'm not wealthy but I've been donating as much as I can to various local and national charities hoping that it will help someone. Seeing photos and videos of all the destruction not only in Florida but in the Caribbean as well really hurts. I am blessed that Irma dropped to a measly tropical storm by the time it got here but there was a period of time where the models had it going into the Gulf and making Tallahassee ground zero. Now there is another major hurricane (Maria) bearing down on the Caribbean. The atmospheric conditions are quite different as compared to Irma so this storm has a higher chance of turning north before getting anywhere close to Florida. It's peak hurricane season. There may be more.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Glad to read you were out of FL for the nastiness, Jimbo.

Certainly worse places to hide out than Chicago. Binny's is one of the top 3 distilled spirits retailers in the nation, no less.