Rum Review: Gosling's Black Seal Rum

Now's here's the real stuff - traditional, cleans your socks on the way down. Unlike the Royal Navy, the pirates drank while eating, sailing and fighting - the first multitaskers. Here's to Port Royal, the Port of Orgies! Say it loud and say it plowed!

How do you rate Gosling's Black Seal Rum for sipping (five is best)?

No votes
33%
50%
17%
No votes

Total votes: 6

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Gosling's Black Seal Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Gosling's Black Seal Rum: "Prune with a Punch!"

It took many months for Sue Sea and I to finally do a tasting of the darks. Of course it was something I intended, but somehow I succumbed to the notion that these famous old mixers were for mixing only. But not always. Please be sure to check the other dark reviews: Myers, Cruzan Navy and Coruba - you may be surprised! The review:

Sue Sea:

Jim and I have often enjoyed a classic "Dark and Stormy" - the drink made famous by for Gosling's Black Seal, but I never had the urge to sip it. Well, maybe one urge! But this night we did a tasting of all the darks, which was great fun.
Black Seal comes in a fairly ordinary bottle whose transparent label features, of course, a black seal balancing a keg of rum. A bit too clever, but you won't have any trouble finding the bottle! Black Seal's aroma was first a bit floral, over a base of molasses. There's a high citrus note, maybe orange blossom, very much like a sun tea. I also picked up a bit of oak and furniture polish. All quite pleasant.

The taste was actually quite different: raisin, black cherry, molasses and prune. The finish was short, warm and peppery and left an aftertaste of clove. Now of course, Black Seal's highest and best use is for its famous "Dark and Stormy". But do try sipping it neat or with a rock or two just for the experience.
Me:

Sue Sea and I had been through half this bottle well before this review, all in what became a semi-regular "Dark and Stormy". A must drink for this must buy. Black Seal's color is not black - rather exhibit some glowing deep red mahogany, with solid legs. I found Black Seal's aroma surprisingly pleasant and enticing. Yes I know this next is a poor descriptor but it does smell like "rum" against a background of molasses, sweet and a bit fruity. With airing, the molasses starts to dominate. Seal's taste opens cool and smooth, with a deep fruit (in the raisin/prune arena), ends with some astringency, then finishes peppery and warm.

All the way down! This is a good thing, lol. This rum leaves a lingering raisiny molasses aftertaste. In sum, this rum could be sipped and is certainly worth a trial.

Score for sipping(10 is best): 6.

Note: Be sure to read the Dark Rum Smackdown (this section) - a fun session where we tasted all these interesting rums neat and then in a dark and stormy. If you rate this rum (for sipping), it'd be nice if you post with it your commentary regarding its use in mixed drinks. Thanks.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

goslings 151 is a hell of a deal if you're into that. It costs the same as regular goslings, and has a lot of similarities. I would rate the 151 as a worthwhile overproof at that price point. It's different.

On the other end of the spectrum, gosling's reserve is worth checking out if you feel like splurging. I found it priced like a normal shot at a bar since the bartender had no idea what it cost. :twisted: