Idiot's Reviews: Founder's Porter

The problem with beer was that it wouldn't survive a long voyage, ergo rum and other distilled spirits. Still, beer later became a wondrous thing, with each community having its own unique brewery and style. We were loyal! That changed, but of late, Craft Brewing appeared and gone mad - with over 3000 of the buggers and 100's of weekly new releases, ergo a blood, er beerbath is in the offing. Until then - this section...

How do you rate Founder's Porter (five is best)?

50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Idiot's Reviews: Founder's Porter

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Founder's Porter

Porter | 6.5% ABV | 45 IBU's

Some time ago our good man Bear recommended four basic types of beer with which to become acquainted, including: Porter - medium body, dark color, mild sweetness and roasted malt flavor (e.g. Anchor Porter or Founders Porter). We chose the Porter, which came in a nice chocolate brown bottle and was described as "Dark, rich and sexy".

Our impression's are merged (Sue Sea and moi)...

Personally I love porters as they are not quite as intense as say Guiness (although to be fair the Smith's Imperial Stout we tried was smoother). Sue Sea is a long time Guinness girl, but as always approached this one with an open mind.

The color was an opaque black/brown, with a nice but relatively short lived coarse bubble cappucino-colored head. Sue Sea found the opening nose very "stout-like", deep and with a slightly bitter nutmeg, and coffee. The entry was the consistency of nice rich coffee and was entirely consistent, with the addition of cacao and hazelnut. Mid-palate brought a little "kick" as put by Sue Sea, with a touch of black pepper.

In sum the label kept its promise - thick, rich and dark, a glass of a dark chocolate espresso. We'd buy this one again...

About IBU's:

I'm sure Bear will cover this later, but we were curious about the labeled "45 IBU's" of the Founder's. IBU stands for Int'l Bitter Units, which relates to the amount of hops/bitterness of a beer. Founder's is 45, Guinness Stout is reported at 40, and the Sam Smith's Imperial Stout at 35.

A question for the Bear:

Do correct my IBU research. I've learned that IBU units - though indicative of bitterness - may not be perceived in line with those ratings. For example I perceive Guinness as the most bitter of the three, followed by the Imperial Stout, and thence the Founders, the least bitter of all. Yet the IBU ratings are exactly the reverse.

What's going on?
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

Try founder's breakfast stout
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Will certainly try... stay tuned.