Plantation 73% Overproof Trinidad

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Plantation 73% Overproof Trinidad

Post by Rum Warrior »

Bouquet: Funk. Singes your nosehairs. Cough syrup. The microscopic residue of yesterday's vomit on a humid dive bar floor after it's been mopped up.

Flavors: Cola. Vanilla. Wood chips. Cotton candy. Cream soda. That trini flavor. It's not just alcohol. It's a shitload of alcohol. It's a little like an overproof bourbon.

Mixes well, even for people who don't like booze. I mixed it with a ting soda. The flavor comes through.

I would compare it to Rum Fire from Jamaica, or Plantation's other overproof blend.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Word to the wise...

Overproofs of all spirits are meant either for mixing - but - also for dilution for sipping straight. Without dilution, it's impossible to truly judge any brown or white spirit...

http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=1767

http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=331
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

I noticed the vomit/medicine aromas mellowed out since i opened the bottle. It's a little more complex now.

As far as dilution goes, I had been putting ice in overproofs in the past, but after reading jarimi's review, i see how that would dull the flavor. at that point, all you taste is bland cold ethanol.

In a recreational drinking situation without mixer, I think I would opt to use a squeeze of lime (what would this be? a diet daquiri?). A drop of bitters if i wanted to be fancy.

My favorite way to dilute overproof is with bourbon.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

Ti punch was a success.