Angostura 1787 Coming Soon

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
anax44
Greaser

Angostura 1787 Coming Soon

Post by anax44 »

Angostura seems set to release a new premium rum soon.

Details on it here:

http://uwiclubs.com/2016/05/25/angostur ... hing-soon/

http://cocktailwonk.com/2016/05/stalkin ... -2016.html
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for the links anax...

Of special interest is your link to the "Wonk" for his list of new TTB approved labels. VERY interesting. The sad news is that Angustura has a long history of serious alteration (1919), of which sugar is just the beginning. These are really flavored rum liqueurs, the premiumized bottles and marketing be damned.
anax44
Greaser

Post by anax44 »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Thanks for the links anax...

Of special interest is your link to the "Wonk" for his list of new TTB approved labels. VERY interesting. The sad news is that Angustura has a long history of serious alteration (1919), of which sugar is just the beginning. These are really flavored rum liqueurs, the premiumized bottles and marketing be damned.
He also recently found this; https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/v ... 6001000406
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

50 years of independence or 50 years in the cask?

same as with other labels like 1919 , why is this allowed?
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Independence. Any rum that was actually 50 years old would cost thousands, and you'd be picking wood splinters out of your mouth.

The reason: none of the Caribbean countries required bonded warehousing (sealed storage under government supervision). Thus there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove any age claim. Can't be done. Keep in mind the same distillers who lied for years about secret adulteration with sugar, flavoring, glycerol and wine are the one who make this fantastical age claims.

Don't forget the marketing monkeys who have learned to carefully parse words so cleverly that the buyer can be led to assume anything. Isn't it strange that these distillers seem to find rums that are exactly 20 or 30 years old? I've never seen a 19 year old rum for some reason. Or how about Matusalem's 15 and 18 year "Soleras", that if true get a year older each year, but the labels haven't changed for years. Amazing, eh? Nope, just mooseshit.

It's really disappointing.

Compare to Scotch and Irish Whiskey, or bonded Canadian whisky. You can depend on these ages. Even the US allows bonding for any spirit - but not a single rum, "craft" or otherwise, has done so. And as for TTB "enforcement"?

Fugedabowdit....
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

1787 was like $50 US at the duty free in Trinidad. It was enjoyable. Worth a try if you can find if for a reasonable price.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Angostura's 1919 and 1824 were both known for having been sugared (at the least), and possibly flavoring as well, with from 14 to 18g/liter. Thus to assume that their newly created "1787" is also sugared might be a good bet.

In that regard, I sent my usual email:
"Sirs:

Capn Jimbo of The Rum Project here (about 500,000 monthly hits). We are writing about your new super premium 1787 and its sugar content.

In the past your 1919 and 1824 were tested by various sources who reported added sugar in the range of 14-18g per liter.

I must assume based on these that your 1787 will also have added sugar, and our question is: how much?

Cordially,
Capn Jimbo
The Rum Project
http://rumproject.com/rumforum/"

For those who wish to make your feelings known directly to Angostura:
http://www.angosturarum.com/ContactUs/
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

Yeah, I suspected it was sweetened when I was drinking it.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for the confirmation. The sad part is that by cheating and tricking out cheap and thin rums to be artificially seem more complex and aged - that by doing this, the cheaters painted themselves into the sugar corner.

By tricking buyers into associating syrupy sweetness and smoothness, not to mention inauthentic flavor profiles, when they did try to introduce a new "premium", they were forced to add even more sugar (think up to 15 tsp. per liter!

Think about it: does anyone believe that a company who will secretly trick out a cheap rum to "premiumize" it, do you then believe their age statements are honest?

Most of the old timers here don't, and I am one of them...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

Bottle statement: aged fifteen years

I had my last drop (and only one drop) in the 1787 bottle. It might be about as sweet as doorly's 5 year. there might not be that much sugar in this.

It tastes better in some ways than vat 19 and angostura 7 year, but does not taste significantly better than vat19 to me.

Vat19 is $11 US. 1787 is $50 US.

Conclusion: I want fernandez/angostura to make 1.75L glass bottles of Vat19.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

An interesting observation... hope JaRiMi checks in on this one...
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

I'm heading back to T&T for carnival, so I'll do some more research.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

This 15yo (if it is) rum is pretty artificial in taste, sadly. Seems Angostura rectifies the spirit so much that the only way to get flavours into the rum is with the help of chemists...Additives. Even the vanilla notes in this product are odd, unnatural.

Not my fav.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

JaRiMi, I think I would have to visit 1787 with a more skeptical attitude next time. I probably won't buy it again, mostly because of the price, but if I see it at a fete, I'll give it a shot (pun intended).

What's your favorite rum that can be purchased in T&T? Caroni and Scarlet Ibis don't seem to be sold anywhere in Port of Spain.

The only things that I could probably find would be:
7 year
5 year
Vat 19
Royal Oak
Single Barrel
White Oak
Puncheon
Black Label

There are very few foreign rums there.

There are other expensive Angostura offerings that I could probably find, but it's probably not worth it.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Rum Warrior wrote:JaRiMi, I think I would have to visit 1787 with a more skeptical attitude next time. I probably won't buy it again, mostly because of the price, but if I see it at a fete, I'll give it a shot (pun intended).

What's your favorite rum that can be purchased in T&T? Caroni and Scarlet Ibis don't seem to be sold anywhere in Port of Spain.

The only things that I could probably find would be:
7 year
5 year
Vat 19
Royal Oak
Single Barrel
White Oak
Puncheon
Black Label

There are very few foreign rums there.

There are other expensive Angostura offerings that I could probably find, but it's probably not worth it.

It seems Angostura mainly adulterates heavily "rums" aimed at the foreign markets. Last time I bought Royal Oak, it was not adulterated. It's not a massively complex rum, but at least without sugar etc garbage they fill the export stuff with. Mind you - I bought Royal Oak last time more than 15 years ago...sorry!