Rum Comparison: El Dorado Rums

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

Who wins the El Dorado Rum Smackdown?

El Dorado 5 Year Rum
17%
El Dorado 12 Year Rum
17%
El Dorado 15 Year Rum
67%

Total votes: 6

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Comparison: El Dorado Rums

Post by Capn Jimbo »

El Dorado Rums: The Smackdown!

Well, well, well. And well. Betcha thought this smackdown would be between the allegedly fine El Dorados - the 12, 15 and the 21 - or even the, gulp, 25 Year. Are you kidding? The latter two are beyond the reach of most of the rest of us, who tend not to need a third mortgage to buy our rum. Notwithstanding that credit is no longer available to us anyway.

Nope.

This smackdown is between the 12, 15 and, uh, the 5 Year! Am I nuts? Comparing an $8.99 bottom shelf price point to such fine and well respected rums as the 12 and 15?

Yup.

And you will be surprised. Now before you begin I implore you to first read the reviews for these participants before you read even another word. Back? OK, here goes...

El Dorado 5 Year Rum

This rum - properly aired - opens with a nice faintly sweet deep orange/apricot in wonderful balance with leather and a bit of oak. The taste opens with the orange/apricot, moves into leather and finishes with slight pleasant atringency into an entirely consistent and white peppery finish and aftertaste. El Dorado 5 Year was described as mysterious, sensual and pleasantly intriguing. It is a surprisingly complex, well balanced, medium bodied rum. The best of the best buys here at the Project.

El Dorado 12 Year Rum

Although the MOR claims the 12 Year is more similar to the 15, we disagree. The 12 has much more in common with the 5 Year, and seems almost an extension. There is more complexity with the 12's aroma carrying hints of cinnamon, licorice and nutmeg. Its color is a deeper amber, with a very slight olive edge.

The opening is subtle and biased more toward the leather. Indeed the sweet deep fruitiness of the 5 year is barely detectable. Indeed the aroma is all about leather. The 12 Year's taste is smoother, opens with a growing sweetness and leather - with less heat - and leads to a late astringency. The finish is a hotter white pepper.

In sum the 12 Year is more subdued, sophisticated and refined. And accordingly more dull. It is somewhat more complex but not overtly so.

El Dorado 15 Year

The ED 15 is another rum entirely. The relationship to the 5 and/or 12 Year is minimal. The color is yet darker and the body fuller. Maybe too full. Certainly it is the most complex of all. The 15 Year opens much sweeter than either. The aroma is more complex and features a sweet tarry leather over caramel, licorice or anisette. The palate opens with an almost syrupy smooth sweetness. A dark bing cherry, cinnamon, and a hint of deep orange and licorice. From there on develops serious heat. The finish is relatively short, astringent and hot.

In sum, the 15 Year is beginning to present a profile approaching the new Zaya (Trinidad) - very sweet and very hot. It is coating, and begins to feel flavored. Almost.

And now... our conclusion:

The best way to accomplish this is to simply give our ratings (for purposes of this comparison only.
El Dorado 15 Year Rum: Sue Sea - 6, Jimbo - 7.

El Dorado 12 Year Rum: Sue Sea - 7.5, Jimbo - 7.

El Dorado 5 Year Rum: 7.5
The Winner: El Dorado 5 Year!

In sum, we feel the El Dorado 5 Year is an incredibly underrated rum. I have little doubt its pricing and presentation account for its exclusion by the rhum snobs of this world. It has a vigor and balanced taste profile that easily match those of its brethren.

So if you have been ignoring this fine rum, get over it! Yes, it's $8.99 - ya got a problem with dat? If you do, you have no business here...
DEF
Cabin Boy

Post by DEF »

I just got back to Florida and picked up the 5 year old. It tastes like the 15 year old, but not quite as smooth. The 15 is my current favorite, but at $9.99 you can't beat the 5. Going to get the 12 before I leave.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I have had the 12 yr old for a little less than a week, I have been waiting a little while since opening it before doing a side by side with the 15, just in case air affects the flavor a little, as I have observed in some freshly opened bottles of other spirits.

I am very surprised to find I actually like the 12 yr slightly better than the 15 yr. I find it to have a little more of the rum flavor, especially what I would call licorice and brown sugar - a little less wood, and to be a little more hot and chest-warming in the finish.

I thought they were very similar, and I love them both. I don't have the 5 yr old to compare them to, but it is definitely on my list to get when I see a good price.

Capn's Log: Please let us know when you have the 5 yo in hand. You are not alone in preferring the 12 over the 15 yo - it is well to remember that the DDL in Guyana uses a number of different stills in different combinations to produce a wide variety of rums. Do NOT get the idea that they produce a single rum sold at different ages.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I couldn't pick a winner between the 12 and 15, in fact as I've said elsewhere in the forum the El Dorados are equally good across the board and the differences arent a plus or minus to the other. It's a line of rums which includes to 21 year that I am a massive fence sitter. Perhaps I could take a point off the 21 because of the price tag so it's an even draw between the 12 and 15 (I haven't tried the 5 year yet). Superb rums that are fairly priced and I hope stay that way as I don't want to abandon them due to exorbitant pricing hikes.

edit:horrible spleling
in goes your eye out
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

At least in Germany the price of the 15-Year-Old begins to border on "too high"... here we pay 39,99€, which amounts to even more (around 55) dollars. That does not seem to be fair - then again which other Demeraran Rums aside from El Dorado would be alternatives? I don't know whether the 12-Year-Old at 30€ or the 5-Year-Old at 17€ belong on my "to-purchase"-list or not :roll:
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Yeah the Eds have risen significantly in price in recent times. I won't be buying them anymore. Especially now that I know their sugar content. Big thumbs down to DDL.
in goes your eye out
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I just picked up three bottles of their lower offerings at the lowest prices I have ever seen. The 3 yr old for $11, 5 yr for $12 and 8 yr for $13. This was during an online 15% off sale.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Great prices, how are the rums in your opinion NC?
in goes your eye out
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

The white 3 year is one of my favorite white rums, and the other two don't seem nearly as sweet as the 12 and 15 year but still have most of the robust flavors. Now that I know about the sugar content of the 12 and 15 I will more than likely be going to the 5 and 8 yr for my Demerara fix.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

You might also consider getting Lemon Hart 151 and diluting it to your desired proof, whatever that may be. I find it has a more raw, visceral rum flavor than the El Dorados, in a good way. It's not sweet at all, and other than obvious caramel, it doesn't seem like it's been altered much if at all.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Lemon Hart 151, It's not sweet at all
You must of got a good bottle or I a bad one because my Lemo Hart 151 is as sweet as hell. You could boil it and make candy.
in goes your eye out
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Hm, mine is definitely not sweet. I think by the way, that the LH imported to the US is not the same product as that sold in Europe (for example, isn't there Lemon Hart Jamaican rum available in Europe?)
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I can't wait to do this shakedown for myself.

For now, I know that I love the 21yr, and I caught a sale this last month in Houston where I bought a case for what came out to $75/bottle. I don't think I was going to beat that, so if I wanted any of this in my future, that was the way it had to be.

I'll be sipping it sparingly, but that's how I arrived at the Demerara obsession, so that is what it is.

Everyone has their limits. The 21 is mine. I'm NOT doing the 25.

$75 comes out to about $5 per 1.5oz pour. That's what some people will spend on a beer. A dangerous rationalization that I now pass on to all of you...

Someday soon I intend to kick back with the expensive work done and just sip on the under 15yr releases.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

El Dorado 151 is a clear alternative to Lemon Hart 151 (Pun intended). It would be interesting to try them head to head.