Domestic Rum dept: Albany Distilling Inc

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
mamajuana
Admiral

Domestic Rum dept: Albany Distilling Inc

Post by mamajuana »

I finally came upon more New York state distilled rum. This time out of the States capital Albany. It's not one of those packaged bulk bought "distillers".

While we don't have ton's of specifics here I did go ahead and buy the unaged and aged versions of their rum today. They also use pot distillation.

There website has more info:

http://www.albanydistilling.com/products/#qs

Other reading:

https://medium.com/relentlessawareness/ ... a03cad0625

I have so far just tried out the white version "Quackenbush Still House Original Albany Rum" - 30.00 - Batch 6 bottle 142 - bottling date 3/17.

Initial thoughts:

This is a huge, huge, huge rum for 40% ABV. It has a mineral character with huge spicy body which oddly has a note of complexity to it and a finish that lingers for quite some time.

Sugar testing:
Temp: 22.2 C
40-50% hydro - Tested 40.8%
Corrected Result: 0 Sugars

I will follow up as time allows with our aged amber NAS version which was 35.00 which is said to be aged in their own barrels that had their whiskey in it.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Great contribution... a big public thanks to Mama, whose keeps on sharing...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

As a follow up here I did get around to the Amber version aged in their own used whiskey barrels and finished the bottle a few months ago. This rum is a very rich pot distilled rum even at 80 proof and knocked my socks off. It also tested for 0 added sugars. Highly recommended if you have the chance to get a bottle at 35.00.

Its also important to note on this NAS rum that the distiller claims that all the color of this rum comes from time spent in casks and there is also no coloring added.

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mama, so nice to see up on the boards again...

For all the battles we have all fought to expose sugar, it seems that may have paid off, at least for the artisan distillers who have decided that purity is both desirable and saleable.

Thanks much for posting this good info...