Rum Review: Pyrat XO Rum

Is Ron Zacapa a fad? Is Zaya, Angostura 1919 or Pyrat XO? How bout Diplomatico? There's a modern marketing trend afoot and it's toward rum as liqueur. Sweet and easy to sell, er, drink. Here's to Richard Seale, may he never see this section!

How do you rate Pyrat XO Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
27%
27%
36%
9%

Total votes: 11

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Pyrat XO Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pyrat XO Rum: "Orange Marmalade Glaze"

The first bottle of rum I ever bought was Mount Gay XO. Second was Zacapa 23, and third was Pyrat XO. All very different, all well respected, all well reviewed and all (barely) falling in the Compleat Idiot's budget. I still recall having Sue Sea's niece and her boyfriend over for a crude rum tasting and how we nearly finished off the Pyrat. Ryan now drinks nothing but.

But I gotta be honest. Pyrat really does belong in the Tie Dye category, particularly the Pistol but also XO. Are there additives or flavorings in Pyrat? Survey sez...

Probably. More about this, but first the reviews:

Sue Sea:
I love the Pyrat XO's bottle - it is stunning and will be one of the highlights on your top shelf or liquor cabinet. To me the bottle is an important part of the experience. Jim and I had come upon a closeout on Pyrat Pistol and decided it would be fun to compare the two. XO is definitely my favorite - lighter, smoother, more sophisticated. Its wonderful aroma is like an orange-apricot nectar. Touch of banana. Like a jam or marmalade with a deeper, thicker aroma than fresh. Or like jam cooking in the pot. I also picked up a nice roasted caramel, vanilla and a nutbread like almond. The XO's taste was smoother, more creamy and is consistent, reflecting its orange/apricot aroma. The body is syrupy, like a caramel dissolving in your mouth. The finish is medium long, smooth, warm and peppery. Lovely.

A Saturday afternoon, barbequing rum.
Me:

Right on Sue Sea, ditto for me. Color is light amber, slow thick legs (a tip off). But I'd definitely add a slightly burnt, smokey aroma - although Sue Sea may be referring to this by her "cooking marmalade" reference. My earlier tastings of XO found it to be cloyingly sweet, syrupy and smokey - attractive to the new drinker but effects that you grow out of. And that's where I left things until this retasting against Pyrat Pistol - a real Tie Dye rum.

In this context, XO compares much more favorably and led to my improved regard. Be sure to read the Pistol review. The scores...

Rating (10 is best): Sue Sea - 8, Me - 7 (was a 6)
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RT
Quartermaster

Rum as Cough Syrup

Post by RT »

Been fighting a nasty cold this past week, too much snow shoveling I guess. Anyway, with the taste buds on the fritz, it has been a good opportunity to focus on drinking some of the less favorite rums on my shelf.

The first rum I would put in my "rum as cough syrup" category is Pyrat XO. This was one of the first "premium" rums to appear on the shelves of the PA state stores, so it has been my acquaintance for quite a while.

As a sipper for novice rummies, it is sweet, it has some perkiness, and it goes down easy (kind of like that girl Roxy in high school). But revisiting it now that my cold has cleared, I find more to dislike than to like.

For one thing, the orange flavor. Too artificial and strong to be a natural rum flavor, but not full enough to be a true orange liqueur like say, the Clement Creole Shrubb.

For another thing, the flavors hiding under the orange. I detect a metallic bitterness and a smoky tobacco note, neither of which I particularly enjoy.

Now, other than the smokyness, we seem to be disagreeing. I will point out that my bottle, now 2/3 empty, has been open about a year, but the cork is intact and tight and the rum is not at all cloudy. So it is possible that some of the off flavor is due to staleness. But not likely all, and my tasting notes do appear consistent with some that I have seen on other sites.

My rating would be about a 6 (without a cold) or 6.5 (with a cold).

And yes, you can improve your rating of a bad rum by comparing it head-to-head with an even worse one.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo

I gotta agree...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I gotta agree...

Keep in mind there's a reason why the Pyrats are in the Twiggie section.

RT, I think you are right on the money. After you've spent some time here, you'll probably begin to notice which of the rums were our more early, tentative reviews. As time has passed, we have moved farther and farther away from the Twiggie Rums, and even considering Sue Sea's desire to be fair to all tastes, this review needs revisiting.

It's our plan to re-review all rums as they are bottomed, partly to decide if they will be replaced (the acid test) and partly to update and improve our reviews. As you no doubt know, the art of tasting - like music - is a never ending journey.

And speaking of such, The other evening Sue Sea and I journied to a nice, fun restaurant that features outdoor seating (a big plus here in Paradise), great food, good prices, fun waiters and a decent bar.

Except for rum.

The only real sipper they had was this one, Pyrat XO, so I ordered a snifter. Got a great pour and it lasted most of the evening. Actually, it could have lasted the next day as well, as I really didn't like it anywhere near as much as our review indicated. Neither did Sue Sea.

Accordingly, watch this space for a re-review. Any time now, lol...
Pyrate Surgeon
Cabin Boy

Pyrate XO

Post by Pyrate Surgeon »

I must admit, I'm a rhum enjoyer who's taken to dabbling in blending. I think one has to keep in mind that not only has Pyrate XO changed it's label, but it's taste since early 2000.

Working with the 'orange-honey' flavor, this rum I use as a base with most of my blends--but only as a base. Adding other selected rums in proper proportions, I've managed to arrive at 2 distinctive blends. Thanks to a challenge place upon me by himself, Bilgemunkey, I have 2 more blends to create. But among my associates, many who admit to being rum and whiskey/whisky snobs, when they hear that I'll be in attendance of a function, they know I will have my blends with me--and I've always returned home with drained-dry bottles.

I would like to pass along a sample to Capt'n for his assessment, but the Postal service might have issues. Something I must look into further...
The Rhum comes After the surgery, mate!
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I cannot for the life of me consider Pyrat a rum - it tastes more like a orange liqueur than anything else. Is it good? It tastes pleasant, has a nice spiced flavour and is smooth. I would not personally sip it as such, but serve it with a dessert or in a cocktail.

A rum...? Well, a spiced rum for sure. I would eat some hat of mine if I was proved that this is a "pure rum".

As a product with no clear age statement and a taste that speaks miles of added flavours I think it is overpriced (at least in Europe). A good replacement for Cointreau in any case.
Mike.357
Cabin Boy

Post by Mike.357 »

I have been on a rum buying jag of late and picked up a .750 of Pyrat XO yesterday. It is 24.99 on our shelf.

I dunno, middle of the road stuff. My opinion is tainted though. Patron is big name big time distilling. And I can't stand the stupid orange ribbon tied around the neck much less the clanking little tag of some idol.

It tastes alright, lots of orange. Might be good adding a splash of it to a mimosa. I dunno about drinking it straight. Two good pours on ice last night left me underwhelmed.

It is not offensive but just not remarkable. There are a lot of others way worse.

I gave it three stars.
Pain or damage don't end the world. or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
mcbent
Oscar

Sickly sweet

Post by mcbent »

Overwhelming orange taste as others have mentioned. Pretty awful attempt at rum. You could use this as the orange flavor in a margarita, but why bother?
Seek not to follow in the steps of the wise man. Seek what he sought.
viperguy324
Oscar

Re: Rum Review: Pyrat XO Rum

Post by viperguy324 »

Oh boy, sounds like you guys missed out on the good ole days of the plantation gold... For that one you can put me down for 5 stars. XO is good for cooking, or coke when the normal stuff runs out.
Capn Jimbo

Re: Rum Review: Pyrat XO Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The Plantation Rums have always been mostly altered - and substantially - with sugar. Check the Master Sugar List here at the Project:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1683

If you agree that the PG is sugared, feel free to start a new topic in this section and tell us all about it...