Velier's 1974 Caroni

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Velier's 1974 Caroni

Post by JaRiMi »

Caroni Full Proof Heavy Trinidad Rum, 1974 – 2008, 34yo, bottled at 66.1% - stock of 7 drums, 2000 bottles produced.

Nose: Typical Caroni outboard motor oil combines with fruity, floral stuff. Vanilla, burnt molasses, orange peel. Oaky notes. Antique waxed mahogany.

Palate: 66.1 % offers a bit of a challenge, but I try it with no added water VERY carefully, getting just a few drops in. Whoa...powerful, need a LITTLE (do not destroy it) water to open up. Oily, cinnamon, orange peel, spices, fruity notes. Added water drives the oil to the back, and the fruity, floral and spicy notes open up. Undoubtedly also towards the end there's dry, old oak, even a touch of sap. Watch out when adding water! The most whiskylike Rum I've come across.

Finish: VERY warming....tannic, dry, some burnt molasses and final touch is orange peel with that Caroni oil.

This big old chap sells nowadays only in auctions and goes for a good 2000 euros or more. Worth it? If you have the money maybe - because there's not going to be anything like this - ever.

I see from the sugar list that someone has measured 6 g's of sugar in this. Seriously????? Its dry to the bone. May I suggest it is a mistake. I don't think this has seen even any wine casks, ex-bourbon only.

Magnificent.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Well!

It seems JaRiMi is referring to this test reported by Cyril: "Velier Caroni 1974: 6 cyril 0".

This was a rather old test, and frankly I'm not sure why it was reported this way, or whether I might have misreported it myself. Of course, I'll email Cyril for clarification...