Light up Dept: Smokiness and Rum

For officers only! Relevent history and facts about the growing, harvesting, fermentation, distillation and aging of Cane Spirits. Master this section and you master rum. Otherwise just masterbate...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Light up Dept: Smokiness and Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Smokiness...

(Inspired by Sleepy, who loves peat-smoked whisky and wondered the same in re rum)

An excellent question, Sleepy. Like you we adore peaty and smoky whiskies, particularly (but not exclusively) of the Islays. Although the smoking of molasses is extremely rare (I recall a small distiller who smoked his molasses), some smokiness may be attributed to the charring of barrels.

Still, the basis of all rum is sugar cane whose harvest still includes the burning of the fields to prepare the fields for harvest by machetes. The burning is intended to remove the leaves, and to get rid of poisonous snakes.

(Credit: http://factsanddetails.com/world.php?itemid=1569)

I have also seen the reference to the "steaming and smoking" of molasses to create brown sugar. Although large scale sugar cane harvest is more and more being done by huge harvesting machines, a Cuban resource (2012) states that hand harvesting (preceeded by burning the fields) still accounts for half of all production.

(Credit: http://knowaboutcuba.com/2012/01/a-look ... -industry/)

A minor point?

Ask yourself this: Is it the smoking or what you smoke it with?

Answer: both. Chef Kevin would have hastened to point out that liquid smoke is made from a variety of woods for a variety of effects. Those who grill can tell you the differences between mesquite and say hickory or cherry. Big differences! The Islays malted grains are dried over peat smoke and I have no doubt that it is the peat that makes the difference.

Homedistillers has suggested adding a bit of liquid smoke to new make or young whiskies and rums, something we all could try...