Book Department: per Robert Hess...

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Book Department: per Robert Hess...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Books to buy?

It's no secret that Sue Sea and I are not big on mixed drinks as our interest lies more in the underlying spirits. Still we do enjoy a good dirty martini, shaken not stirred and made with Wodka, a Polish vodka that retains just a tiny bit of flavor in the eastern European fashion. Or - very lovely - a Pusser's Painkiller which for a rum drinker has no equal, unless it's a near original Zombie as still made at the world famous Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale.

If we look as mixology as a true art creating a wonderful and unique experience using real spirits, fresh juices and spice and the like, and made with precision and skill, then count us in. Dale Degroff says it well, stating that when he goes out to drink he's looking for a bartender, not a bar. So how does one even begin to gain these skills at home?

Books

And because there are so many, just what books? Damned if we know, but many of us probably own the popular "The Essential Bartender's Guide" by Robert Hess. It's simple and works for us for our simple needs. However, in deference to those who know far more than us, I found Hess' own recommendations worth repeating here...

From his own library...

"The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks" by David Embury. Hess feels this bookd well covers the thought process behind the mixing.

"Imbibe" by David Wondrich, which he recommends for an understanding of the history, from Jerry Thomas.

"Jones Complete Bar Guide" by Stan Jones, for simply quantity of recipes up to around 1980.

"Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" by Ted Haigh, to understand some extremely old "vintage" recipes once very famous, and worth repeating.

"The Joy of Mixology" by Gary Regan, a classic book for the would be bartender, whether for home or for real. [/u]

An interesting list to be sure. If you have any you'd like to share, do have at it...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

It's based on Beachbum Berry Remixed so I guess it counts - Beachbum Berry's "Tiki +" iOS app - excellent way to use up all the rum I've acquired!

Also, another app, "Bartender's Choice" which features both classics as well as creations from the leading craft bartenders in the country