Recipe: Black Wee Bee Jammin'

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Recipe: Black Wee Bee Jammin'

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A Capn Jimbo special drink...

And completely by accident. Well, not completely. In a recent trip to Total Wine I was faced with a few new rums to think about for a single holiday purchase. After agonizing over Tanduay (just to prove it's altered), Sammy's (very interesting) and Blackwell's Dark Rum, I chose the latter. Some of you may know Chris Blackwell as the owner of Island Records, but few know he's part of the Wray & Nephews family.

In fact W&N distilled and aged a good Jamaican rum for Blackwell, and that was enough for me. $26, and out the door. Although this is not a real review, I'll tease you by noting that Blackwell Dark has a extremely rich and pungent aroma, exceedingly pleasant and featuring ripe black banana, creme brulee, some Jamaican funk/dunder and perhaps a bit of prune. It's the kind of nose that leads you believe you're in for a sugar bomb like Brinley's, or especially something like Zaya.

It wasn't so. Even though this richness carried through, the palate opened with leather, and grew ever dryer to a consistent peppery finish. Very nice. A deceptively rich, deceptively dry late evening dram.

So how 'bout the drink??

Fine, fine. Sue Sea is simply not feeling well, so I thought I'd put something quick together. For some reason the notion of ripe banana and orange - as in a smoothie - kept coming to mind. So here's what I did:

4 oz fresh squeeze OJ with pulp
1 oz Coco Lopez
2 oz Blackwell's
Shake with 4 or 5 ice cubes, and pour into a tall glass, finish with a good coating of freshly ground nutmeg.

Served to Sue Sea and her reaction: "Awesome! At first I thought it was a Painkiller, but perhaps even better. The flavors work well together and like the Painkiller, this is a serious drink, forget the parasols."

My/our first mixed drink, and it worked. Highly recommended.