Recipe: "My, My Martini" - Sue Sea

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Recipe: "My, My Martini" - Sue Sea

Post by Capn Jimbo »

"My, My Martini", by Sue Sea

For those of us who have managed to stumble into retirement, it's often pleasant to have a nice evening drink to accompany a good movie, et al. Come to think of it, this probably has nothing to do with retirement, but it sounded good, lol...

As regulars know, we are not big on mixed drinks per se (with the exception of Pusser's Painkillers), but somehow a good martini - which is mostly, if not all booze - is an exception. In the beginning and inspired by 007 we started with a good classic martini, dry, with a good gin like Plymouth's.

Typical recipe is 3-to-1 gin/ dry vermouth, dash of Angostura, shaken very well, 5 speared olives and some crushed ice - served in ice cold frosty martini glasses. But as it turns out, Sue Sea is not a big fan of juniper (I am), so our martinis became progressively dirtier with a few teaspoons of olive juice, and even a few crushed olives lurking below.

In time Sue Sea's dirty martini became drier yet with the substitution of Polish Wodka, a lovely and extremely affordable vodka ($10) that has just a touch of grain to it in the European fashion. Nice. Truth be told we ran out of Wodka, so what to do?

What TO do...

As luck would have it I ran across mention of a martini made with a Blanc cane juice rum, which are in general, quite sippable by themselves. Think Dillon or a discounted JW (around 50% or so). I repaired to our liquor closet when - bingo! My eyes fell upon Mae de Ouro, a simply fabulous cachaca. Since I've always felt that a good cachaca outcanes most "agricoles", I grabbed it. Would it work?

The Recipe:

2 oz. of Mae de Ouro
1 oz. vermouth
splash of orange bitters...

Taste? Hmmm. Nicely vegetal, but somehow too sweet. Like a good spirit, a good mixed drink needs balance. Add a teaspoon of olive juice, better. Add another, better yet! Good balance. Shake very well with ice, and pour over crushed ice in a martini glass, and add a 5-olive spear. And the result, envelope please...

Sue Sea loved it, and honestly so did I. Unlike our usual dirty martinis, the balance of sweet and bitter, not to mention the salt inherent in olive juice and this was a real winner. I believe any good white cachaca would do as well. We'd love to have you try it and let us all know what you think...

Special note: thinking that our usual Angostura might be a little much, the bitters we used was Stirring's Blood Orange Bitters, normally a little too pricey (and not terribly classic), but found on sale and worked perfectly here...