Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum
Rum Appreciation by and for the Compleat Idiot

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

People's Choice: Best Jamaican Style - Vote!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Rum Polls for All: Visitors too!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

And the best Jamaican style rum is...
Appleton Extra 12
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Pusser's Blue Label
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Myers's Legend
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Prichard's Private Stock
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Santa Teresa 1796
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sea Wynde
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Smith & Cross
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Wray & Nephew's Overproof
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: People's Choice: Best Jamaican Style - Vote! Reply with quote

Enough already with the fauxed up Annual "Awards"!

NOTE: You - the unwashed public - hereby have the great privilege of actually voting on this poll, even though you're not registered. The world awaits your decision... Havabanana!

Seriously, aren't you tired of the faux annual awards bestowed by the same old promoters and wannabees? Sure a few good rums show up there, but these awards are purely personal opinion that are heavily influenced by the companies, distillers and distributors who make sure these promoters' conveyor belts of freebies are always full. In return they are assured of a series of softball reviews that are weighted to unnaturally high scores. In turn the distillers get a bunch of Quadruple Platinum "awards" to quote on their websites, shelf talkers and advertising.

A handy arrangement with both sides pimping and paying one another.

The truth: experienced rum afficianados know this and could give a moosekey's ass what these faux reviewers think. This is exactly why Sue Sea and I have never published an award of any kind and we never will. Nor will we ever tilt our scores to the high end, and last...

We call shitty rums, well shitty. Put that on your shelf talker! Still our scores fall into a reasonable distribution which recognizes that any group of rums will fall into the good old bell curve. This is honest. As for most of the others, like you, we simply don't trust them.

But we do trust you!

We are blessed to be visited by a precious few posters who are extremely competent and knowledgable. In fact I continue to regularly screen, question and often turn down new registrants who fail to convince me of a sincere interest in our chosen spirits.

Thus, we'd like to know what each of you thinks and which rums you'd place on your own short lists which - for lack of a better term - might be called "The People's Awards". But even that is presumptuous of me so feel free to propose your own name for this idiotic endeavor.

My opinion? The Project is posted only by a few, but is one of the highest read rum sites on the net. It was not until The Project and its posters demystified Zacapa and recognized "styles", that these notions spread and began to appear elsewhere. Nor was the idea of purity much discussed, and so it goes. A lot of good ideas and valid observations are made here by all of us and the peeps read them.

Why? Competent, insightful and honest commentary shared here by a few but read by and influencing the many. Anybody checked the Petition to Save Caribbean Rum lately? The first 50 signers had to be whipped and keelhauled, but even after all active promotional efforts ceased, the signatures just keep on coming.

But as always, I digress...

Thus, to begin...

Let's now share two things: first, your "nomination" for a name of these "awards", and second, your top three rums for the Jamaican Style (dunder, high ester, aromatic, full-bodied. Once all the categories have been so suggested, next will be the chance for voting. And oh, feel free to suggest the categories as well.

Tag! And to make this meaningful, we'll need to hear from all our regulars. You know who you are...

Go to Save Caribbean Rum Petition!

Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:06 am; edited 3 times in total
da'rum
Minor God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hard one.

The: 'It's great because we say so and if you disagree you can go jump in the lake as you obviously don't have any taste awards'

Top 3 Jamaicans

Smith and Cross
Appletons
and without a single doubt J Wray overproof.
Dai
Minor God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my only experience of a Jamaican rum is Appleton 12 so put me down for that as my number one I'll take a pass on two and three.

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our suggestions:

Sue Sea:

Pussers
Sea Wynde
Myers's Legend

Moi:

Smith & Cross
Sea Wynde
Myer's Legend

This was sooooooooo hard, and I could easily have substitued W&N OP.

RT
Quartermaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be interesting to split this contest into two categories:
Jamaican rums
Jamaican style rums (from islands/countries other than Jamaica)

My picks:
Jamaican - Appleton 12, Smith & Cross, and Myers Legend
Jamaican style - Prichard's Private Stock, Pussers, and Santa Teresa 1796

As for a name for this awards program, how about "The Real Rum Rebellion"
Dai
Minor God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dai wrote:
So far my only experience of a Jamaican rum is Appleton 12 so put me down for that as my number one I'll take a pass on two and three.

Now when it comes to rum styles I have no idea what rum fits in what style and personally I don't care. Personally if it goes in my mouth and I like it, it's good and if I don't it's crap bu6t, that just my take on rum.

If Santa Theresa 1796 fits the Jamaican style put that @ nemero uno for me and Appleton 12 at number two and Pussers a lowly third until I find something to replace it.

sleepy
King of Koffee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Scratches bald head> I still get confused over this classification business. If I were to pick a single element indicating "Jamaican style" it would be dunder that special moldy oakum tone that makes me look for an ancient mariner! But, wait, newer Barbancourt (Haiti)?, Pussers (Barbados)?

Guess not.
Capn Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to vote...

With few exceptions, most of our valued and talented regulars have nominated Jamaican style rums and it's time to vote.

Only Barbancourt was excluded for the reason that it is currently our reference rum for the Cane Juice Style. Only one or two of our respected posters apparently missed this thread, but we urge them to vote and add comments or missed nominations.

Have fun. These are the real awards - the People's...

da'rum
Minor God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine in for S&C but really there are 3 or so in that list that are my number one. I chose S&C because it is my g to Jamaican that I always seem to return to.
Hassouni
Minor God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S&C, but only because it's more versatile than WN, which would have been my runner up for sheer awesomeness
Dai
Minor God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleepy wrote:
<Scratches bald head> I still get confused over this classification business. If I were to pick a single element indicating "Jamaican style" it would be dunder that special moldy oakum tone that makes me look for an ancient mariner! But, wait, newer Barbancourt (Haiti)?, Pussers (Barbados)?

Guess not.

I really don't get pussers being Jamaican style it's predominantly Guyanese rum so I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

Capn Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pusser's - an excellent example of style vs origin...

Although "styles" did in fact have a geographical origin, it is well to remember that was several hundred years ago. And especially of late with raw materials, methods and products being sourced from multiple locations, with little exception "origin" has become meaningless. To a lesser degree this is also becoming true of Scotch whiskys. For example, the big deal of the Islay island whiskys was that everything - the barley, the peat, and the aging - all occurred seaside. No more, but the "salty" ad campaigns continue showing the craggy shores.

Blame the fackin conglomerates. Again.

Thus while the Jamaican funky dunder and aromatic style did originate in that country, the "style" now goes far beyond those borders. Note for example cane juice rums which are made all over the world, including in the United States.

Frankly, there are still so-called "reviewers" who still don't "get" this. In fact, no less than Nanooky of the Canadian wilds - who still refuses to accept "styles" actually goes so far as to designate classification not even by where it originates but - are you well seated? - but by where the crap is bottled! You read that right. I can't wait for him to tell his butt buddy, the Preacher, that his Hamilton Jamaican and Hamilton St. Lucian rums compete in the Frozen One's "American Rum" category because they are - I'm serious - bottled in New York! Next thing he'll be classifying rums by the colors of the label...

Unbelievable.

Here's a test...

Do a flight of three rums: say El Dorado 8 Year (Demeraran style), and perhaps Smith & Cross (Jamaican style). Then do a dram of Pusser's and consider which of the others it is closest to.

Carry on...

Dai
Minor God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Jimbo wrote:
Pusser's - an excellent example of style vs origin...

Do a flight of three rums: say El Dorado 8 Year (Demeraran style), and perhaps Smith & Cross (Jamaican style). Then do a dram of Pusser's and consider which of the others it is closest to.

Carry on...

Never tried Smith & Cross but I shall be having a glass or two of Eldorado 8 later tonight. Doing a comparison of ED8 & Angostura 1919 ED8 is the winner but that's me being biased in favour and taste.

Capn Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a winner!

Er, winners. Good friends, we have a tie between Smith & Cross and the venerable Appleton Extra 12 Year. These are both fine, fine Jamaican style rums and from Jamaica to boot.

It'd be close but Sue Sea and I would probably have picked Sea Wynde, but needless to say this was a competitive category. Still the good people - you - have spoken. Final scores:

S&C & Appleton 12: 2 votes each
Pussers & Sea Wynde: 1 vote each

Now for fun, I'll move this to the only publicly accessible section to see what the rest of the universe thinks...

bearmark
Beermeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of W&N or Pussers, but I think Appleton 12 is grand. A close second for me was Santa Teresa 1796.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Rum Polls for All: Visitors too! All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: