Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum
Rum Appreciation by and for the Compleat Idiot

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which rum would you pay more for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Rum Polls for All: Visitors too!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

For which rum would you pay more?
A young column-stilled rum made to taste complex and aged by using unlabeled additives?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A truly aged, complex and pure pot-stilled rum.
100%
 100%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 12

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Which rum would you pay more for? Reply with quote

Does alteration of rum matter?

NOTE: You - the unwashed public - hereby have the great privilege of actually voting on this poll, even though you're not registered. The world awaits your decision... Havabanana!

Fackin A, it does or so I - and many others - believe. At a tasting in Miami, Richard Seale fooled an audience of experienced tasters into believing that a brand new column-stilled molasses rum was really a complex, seven year old pot-stilled rum. Unforgetable.

His point: that most rums are so altered and for the same purpose - to pass off an inexpensive product for something it was not. Does it matter? Vote!

Go to Save Caribbean Rum Petition!

Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Dai
Minor God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day we buy rum to drink. Yes we all want the purest quality rum that our taste buds prefer but, does it really matter if we get an adulterated rum so long as we are getting it an an affordable price for what it actually is.

So long as we know it's adulterated and the price is good compared to an aged rum that is not adulterated and it's of our free choice does it really matter.

A hard question to give an honest answer to when knowing all the facts. At the end of the day I think it comes down to personal circumstances as to what choice you make and why you make, maybe it's money, taste, availability or all three.

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
JaRiMi
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to disagree, because I'd hate to see anyone 'drink' rum. We sip it, use it for cocktails, but I hope none of us actually drinks the stuff..! I know if I did, I would do it for a very long time, because it would kill me. :-]

Seriously, using an inexpensive white rum for cocktails - yes, fine, serves the purpose ok.

For sipping, I do not want a 30-buck brown alcohol that somewhat tastes like rum. I'd rather spend 60 bucks, and get the real thing - and consume less of it, less often - and appreciate it.
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wording of the survey might be a little bit biased Very Happy

However I'd join the opinion saying that it depends on the situation. If some of my loud, young and unsophisticated friends appear I am very eager to provide them with good tasting but - in the end - cheap and artifical rum products. Not because I want to save money but because I know they would not appreciate the beauty of a truly aged spirit.

When my "rumfriend" comes by for a visit it is a totally different matter.

Conclusion: For me I'd always prefer to invest 10 bucks more for a authentic product. Alas for the next normal party... but i would never buy Bacardi Superior/Oakheart/Black etc... there have to be limits and I would not forgive myself if rum got a bad image within my peer group because of sh**ty stuff like that.

Capn's Log: Welcome to new member Guevarra, and thanks for you sharing your views. I really wish this poll was biased, but the sad truth is that it isn't - not even a little. Yes, it sounds silly, doesn't it? But it IS silly. Unlike whisky which is largely pure and unflavored, when they do add flavors they say so (and these are based on cheaper NAS bulk whiskys).

Compare to rum where we are not told what's in the bottle, where unlabelled alteration is the norm and where the Big Three (and others) do everything they can to raise the prices of these faux products. Nope, no bias. Wish there was...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Capn Jimbo's Rum Project Forum Forum Index -> Rum Polls for All: Visitors too! All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: