Blind Squirrel Dept: The mother lode re Demeraran History

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Blind Squirrel Dept: The mother lode re Demeraran History

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Brilliant, simply brilliant...

As always I occasionally check out the Shillery, et al, mostly so that you don't have to. This has become a colossal waste of time and honestly, my visits have become ever more infrequent and there must be a really good reason to do so. Most recently that was to follow up the Hamoonshine rums and mostly because so much was promised, while so little was delivered.

Since these releases remain practically invisible and remarkably unreviewed (especially noting that they were produced by the self-designated Pope of Rum, an alleged promoter/rep), I've had almost no reason to visit. Yet something drew me today, like waking up with a huge erection and nothing to do with it.

Even a blind monkey finds an occasional banana, and even more rarely...

Finds a huge bunch of them. That was today. Amazingly one of the new beta monkeys stumbled across a truly brillian article in re: the complete history of Demeraran rum. Now when I say brilliant, I mean "BRILLIANT"! And when I say complete, I mean "C-O-M-P-L-E-T-E"! Yes. Yes, indeed.

This article is not, I repeat NOT to be missed by anyone who gives a whit about one of the origins of style. Unlike the monkeys who will note little more than this article is uh, big, our fine crew actually cares, reads, examines and comments.

This is a major piece, one of if not the best historical records of the stills and products of the Demerara. Have at it!

http://barrel-aged-thoughts.blogspot.de ... glish.html
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Looks really good! With references and all!!. Who's Marco though?
in goes your eye out
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I think I'm going to have to read this about 8 times to actually take it in.

#1 starts tonight.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

The BAT website is unbelievable..
Fantastic information and love the recommendation is always based on price.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I just spent another two evenings with this.

It's been nearly a year since my first read, and I've tried a lot of Demerarans since then.

Some have delighted me, one disgusted me, many have confused me.

Every one of them has been interesting (save the horror show - Bristol 1988 Enmore if you are curious - WAY too sulfuric for my liking, but everyone's tastes are different, I will certainly allow!).

I think what would be awesome someday would be to take a trip to Guyana with a bunch of sample bottles of my fave rums and to set up a portable chair and table and have a drink of each sample, each on the location of the shuttered original plantation/distillery. To bring it home and consume it "on plantation".

A little corny, perhaps - but I don't necessarily shrink from corny.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Need to re-read it, but I think that 1988 Bristol is of the MEA style. Suspect that this is not as a good as the VSG style (have not tried both) as per people who have tried both and that is why this is still available on the market.

I think the thewhiskycask Enmore 1990 is also of the same MEA style.

Wish the DDL, started releasing single cask of these styles.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Thanks AK9, that's VERY helpful information on the MEA.

You've definitely saved me some money on The Whisky Cask release!

The biggest mystery for me has been the REV marque. I got one of them a while back and I really like it (it's heavily colored - I think this one is a matter of preference of course), but it's sure an oddball. Nobody seems to be able to trace this one, yet.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Whisky cask has a new Hampden out. Missed the last one so i am quite keen on the new batch or their samples which are very cheap.

BAT has a review of the Enmore and the price is v good...
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

AK9 wrote:Whisky cask has a new Hampden out. Missed the last one so i am quite keen on the new batch or their samples which are very cheap.

BAT has a review of the Enmore and the price is v good...
That Whisky/Rum Cask site looks very interesting. Some really good bottles there and they ship to the UK.

Thanks for pointing it out!