Added sugar to rum

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Dai
Minor God

Added sugar to rum

Post by Dai »

Here is a good thread from the Count's site on added sugar in rum.

http://www.refinedvices.com/forums/view ... 2517#p2517

I never knew that there so much added sugar in rum.

Capn's Log: What?! You mean there's unlabeled sugar in rum? Actually what most call "rum" IS unlabeled sugar, faux flavoring, gycerol, cheap sherry (not barrels) et al. But we all knew that - thanks though Dai for emphasizing the very large amounts. Sadly I'm afraid I'm not very surprised.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

El dorado at 20 gm/ltr as well. Is that proof of the suspicion of liberal caramel use by DDL?

Capn's Log: JaRiMi was the first to note the changes, and I'd say yup, here's the proof. Yet another disappointment.
in goes your eye out
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

da'rum wrote:El dorado at 20 gm/ltr as well. Is that proof of the suspicion of liberal caramel use by DDL?
Actually it says El Dorado 12 yr is 45 g/l, you were looking at the line for Bacardi 8 yr. . Damn. I guess I need a new favorite.
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

Very interesting link. The list is quite disturbing... but at least I got the confirmation for my yesterday-evening-impression:

I tried my El Dorado 15 Years for the first time and thought that it is sweetened - now that is confirmed. A complete list of these sugar amounts would be valuable since we could judge the taste of rums with more information. I would be very interested in the 'purity' of Mount Gay XO since imho it is very smooth for a 43%-rum. If that is achieved without added sugar then they truly are one of the absolutely best.

Capn's Log: With the exception of this dribble of embarassing information, and because most rums refuse to label their ingredients, et al, we are unlikely to know the real truth. Needless to say this information is simply a moment in time.

Thus we are dependent on our ability to taste critically and in that regard the consensus of those who know is that MGXO is the real thing. And if you love it, I dare you to try 1703, which frankly exceeds our 10 point scale.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

NCyankee wrote:
da'rum wrote:El dorado at 20 gm/ltr as well. Is that proof of the suspicion of liberal caramel use by DDL?
Actually it says El Dorado 12 yr is 45 g/l, you were looking at the line for Bacardi 8 yr. . Damn. I guess I need a new favorite.
Right you are on both counts.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Credit to the Count...
"To revive this thread here is a list of rums and their sugar contents I've acquired from Alko in Finland."
. . . . . . .Image

It well to consider that we can only assume these lists accurate and second, that they reflect only sugar and ignore the many other common hidden additives including - you know this - glycerol, cheap sherry, artificial spicing and flavors, et al. A prime example above is Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 that yes, does contain some sugar (5 gr) but as we now know also vanilla and prunce extract. Continuing...

Count Silvo:
"For comparison here is a list of rums from the Swedish government (Published on Facebook by Daniel Seehuusen):

Angostura 1919 14gr/l
Appleton Estate Extra 12 Years less than 3gr/l
Berrys' Caribbean Rum 12 Years less than 3gr/l
Botran Solera 1893 Gran Reserva Añejo 9 g/l
Dillon Très Vieux Rhum less than 3gr/l
Diplomático Reserva 8 Años 7gr/l
Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva 12 Años 41gr/l
El Dorado 15 Years 31gr/l
Matusalem Solera 7 Blender less than 3gr/l
Negrita Dark less than 3gr/l
Ron Barceló Gran Añejo 5gr/l
Ron Quorhum Solera 23 Years 46gr/l (!!!)
Ron Zacapa Gran Reserva 41gr/l (!!!)
Rum Plantation 20th Anniversary Extra Old 29gr/l
Rum Plantation Grande Reserve Barbados 22gr/l
Zacapa XO 26gr/l"
What I find encouraging is that I'd venture to say that most of you don't need a listing to know who the violators are. So honestly, there really aren't any surprises here.

What I DO find interesting are those companies who have promoted their exceptional quality and allegedly special processes (eg Zacapa's high altitude faux solera or Plantations 15 second dunk in worn out sherry barrels) who have added absolutely amazing amounts of sugar. Another interesting observation is how little sugar is notable - example Diplomatico Reserva, a well known sweet bomb with just 7 grams.

It seems the magic number is less than 3 grams with the emphasis on "less than". It is interesting too to learn that there are countries who actually report these numbers.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

It was always the Reserva exclusiva that was known as the sugar bomb wasn't it? With the 8 (year?) being less sweet but still sweetish.

It is great to see these nimbers and hats off to Count for posting this on his site. If these nimbers were mandatory on bottles in big black numbers I wonder if that would initiate a change?
in goes your eye out
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

This makes me think, is it possible to try an unsweetened Demerara rum easily? According to the list above, El Dorado is a huge offender! Most of us don't have easy access to independent bottlings. All I can think of is Lemon Hart, which has coloring but isn't particularly sweet, but even that is only available now in 151 form (from Caribbean Spirits :( )
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

NCyankee wrote:
You and me both, ED12 is my favorite rum as well.

Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

Nah. While I think sugar should be declarated on the bottle I see no need to damn rum just because of it. Rum always was and is more rogueish and unregulated than Whisky or Cognac - so I would not judge a very tasty and good bottle of ED12 solely because of the sugar. :)

Capn's Log: no one is damning rum for the sugar. It's a simple matter of honesty in labeling. When an expensively produced rum that is pure and free of additives and of an honest age stands side by side with a cheaply made imitation whose flavor is added and age misstated, yet both are labeled "Fine 12 year old Rum", Houston we have a problem.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn's Log: no one is damning rum for the sugar. It's a simple matter of honesty in labeling. When an expensively produced rum that is pure and free of additives and of an honest age stands side by side with a cheaply made imitation whose flavor is added and age misstated, yet both are labeled "Fine 12 year old Rum", Houston we have a problem.
When I can buy a Seale's 10 year old (additive free I far as I know) or a rum such as El Dorado 12 which I love for more or less the same price I may prefer to by less of the El Dorado and more of the more pure rum so to speak. If nothing else I'd like to have the information or knowledge to make the choice, what ever that choice maybe.

At least with Bourbon and Scotch there is a minimum standard to work to.

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

da'rum wrote:It was always the Reserva exclusiva that was known as the sugar bomb wasn't it? With the 8 (year?) being less sweet but still sweetish.?

Sorry d', I somehow other way read that, lol. I found the facking Reserva so sweet that I refused to waste even more money on the "Exclusiva" which apparent if it's "exclusive" they must mean exclusively sugar.

I need to gargle now...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Guevara88 wrote:Nah. While I think sugar should be declarated on the bottle I see no need to damn rum just because of it. Rum always was and is more rogueish and unregulated than Whisky or Cognac - so I would not judge a very tasty and good bottle of ED12 solely because of the sugar. :)
Not exactly damning it - I will still drink it, and buy it when I see a good price - I just can't consider it my favorite rum, any more than I could consider a photoshopped picture to be the most beautiful woman in the world.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Capn Jimbo wrote:
da'rum wrote:It was always the Reserva exclusiva that was known as the sugar bomb wasn't it? With the 8 (year?) being less sweet but still sweetish.?

Sorry d', I somehow other way read that, lol. I found the facking Reserva so sweet that I refused to waste even more money on the "Exclusiva" which apparent if it's "exclusive" they must mean exclusively sugar.

I need to gargle now...
It surprises me to see that there isn't more sugar in the Reserva. I guess it seems sweeter because of the relative blandness of the underlying rum, as compared to the much more robust El Dorado 12 yr, Zaya or Zacapa. The one I find the most ridiculously sweet is the Ron Fortuna 8 yr, I wish it were on one of these lists.

I would compare it to coffee - I like it sweet with no creamer, and the stronger it is the more sweetener I use, proportionally. Espresso gets more than a light roasted breakfast blend.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Guevara88 wrote:Nah. While I think sugar should be declarated on the bottle I see no need to damn rum just because of it. Rum always was and is more rogueish and unregulated than Whisky or Cognac - so I would not judge a very tasty and good bottle of ED12 solely because of the sugar. :)

Pretty much what Jimbo said. No-one is saying don't drink sugared/flavoured rum, that is purely personal preference and nobody's business other than the consumer. What we bang on about here is honesty in labeling. I think most here would probably prefer additive and sugar free rums but that, as I said, is neither here nor there when it comes to our main concerns.
in goes your eye out