Pipes and Pipe Tobacco... (this post inspired the section)

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice vid.I wouldn't mind adding a Falcon to my small (3) pipe collection. I would buy a straight one though and a meerschaum bowl for it. I don't like his tobacco choice but that is purely a personal taste thing. He makes a great point about the health warnings. What bothers me the most is the destruction of the tin art. Some of the art on tobacco tins is fantastic and collection worth. However with the printed warnings that cant be removed the art is cut by 1/3. It is truly a shame. Unnecessary as well.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Making rope tobacco at Mac Baren, great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2lE7kAumWE

and Flake, roughly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBokPY3RGig
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ralfy, another hero of the people...

I never fail to respect and learn from Ralfy, not only about whisky but about fine rums, and now smoking. As much as I like cigars - and he does too - he sure made a good case for pipe smoking in terms of tranquil enjoyment, complexity and the ability to match to a particular spirit. If you haven't seen this video, check Dai's link to Ralfy, above.

da'Rum's videos are fascinating. Unlike cigarettes, these tobaccos are of much higher quality and involve individual selection and hand work, as does the growing, fermenting, aging and rolling of cigars.

A question?

I'd like to learn more about good tobacco, used in the moderation proposed by Ralfy, but this is NOT my area of expertise. Does this mean a tobacco section is in order? And do any of you wish to moderate...

Or will this idea go up in smoke? You decide.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I would be chuffed or is that puffed? If a tobacco segment was made. I would also put my hand up to moderate it. Under a few conditions; Firstly an annual salary in the range of 650,000€ would be needed (although negotiable, I'd take zero as well). Secondly would I need to check in every day? As my life distractions, ie earning my millions, goes in fits and starts. Also I have a little baby boy due in a few weeks so I may be periodically time restricted.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I have lots of good info on Tobacco, Pipes and pitfalls.

Here are my pipes,

I hope to add a couple more to the collection when the minister of war and finance approves my budget requests.

Capn's Log: Stunning works of art. Although I know the simple corncob will do rather well I've read, you can't deny the artistry and beauty of the wood. I remember rubbing my pipe on the side of my nose to create a lovely oiled glow to it.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Here is a short on Mac Baren HH Old dark fired Flake which is a beautiful and thoroughly enjoyable smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04iyB57xx8
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hassouni wrote:Well, not quite the same, but I've been a hookah (nargile) smoker for the past nearly 10 years, and lately I've been a big fan of unflavored nargile tobacco (AKA mu'assal or 'ajami)... I typically drink beer or strong tea with this stuff, but I can see it going very well with, surprise surprise, an Islay scotch.

Hass, a brilliant post and terrific pics. Although very common outside this country, we are very naive about the many ways people enjoy their spiritual imbibing and smoking in other parts of the world.

Question: I see the what appears to be coals on top of the tobacco which of course leads to the smoke. What kind of coals are used? And does the hookah fit over this burning pot?
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I'll cover this all in a dedicated thread I plan to start in the next day or two, stay tuned!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Capn's Log: Stunning works of art. Although I know the simple corncob will do rather well I've read, you can't deny the artistry and beauty of the wood. I remember rubbing my pipe on the side of my nose to create a lovely oiled glow to it.
A corn cob pipe would do extraordinarily well, in fact I've heard they smoke brilliantly. The only drawback is they don't last very long. For Americans this is not a problem because you guys can pick up a bag of Corncob pipes for very little money whereas those of us in Europe must pay over what they are worth because of the import.

I would definitely buy a corncob pipe or 10 if I could get them at a decent price. I'm a big Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn fan.

https://corncobpipe.com/smokingpipes.html
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Interesting video on rope tobacco.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

http://www.kirstenpipe.com/page_pipestyles.shtml

Cool looking pipes for younger guy's. Not that I'm younger but theses are tidy pipes and I like what it says about the nicotine and tar.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

You'll find a lot of pipes and pipe makers out there Dai. Perhaps I should create a thread to post any interesting ones that we find in...in fact I will.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A late comment here, but...

I meant to long ago comment on your beautiful pipes. Interestingly there seems to be a really different "feel" between a straight and bent stem pipe. For some reason when I see the straight stem, I think General MacArthur, military, jaunty with the pipe level or even tilted slightly upwards. An in-your-face look. No underwear.

OTOH the bent stems seem more thoughtful and intellectual in Holmesian fashion. One thinks of a Calabash and a deerstalker's hat. Wearing silk boxers with a fine paisley print, lol. Personally, I really dig your pipes - there's something about bent stems.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thanks Jimbo, I was lucky that on my first purchase I hit on a plain but great smoking pipe and then after reading a lot made two better purchases with the Nörding and Design Berlin. All great pipes with the Nörding really being better suited to ribbon cut and the other two smoking flake and plug very well.

I have in my sights a poker style pipe and also a Meerschaum or two. Poker style pipes are straights which I'd like to have as well as my bents or half bents as they actually are. I agree the straights have definitely a military feel to them. Pipe collecting is an addictive habit much more so than the tobacco one puts in them.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:I have lots of good info on Tobacco, Pipes and pitfalls.

Here are my pipes,

I hope to add a couple more to the collection when the minister of war and finance approves my budget requests.

What makes are your pipes?