Cigars love em too but my wallet nicht

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
da'rum
Minor God

Cigars love em too but my wallet nicht

Post by da'rum »

I love a good cigar, I love a good cigar even more when accompanied by a dram of Rum or Single malt. I remember visiting my home Australia a year or so ago and going to see a life long mate in Brisbane. We sat out on the deck overlooking Brisbane river and smoked My Fathers le bijou petit robustos and drank ED 15. It was a great night, not at all spoiled by the fact that I now know that ED 15 is a sugar bomb.

Another Great cigar moment was in Barcelona sitting on a rooftop near El Poblenou at midnight drinking rum and smoking Cubans both of which I can't remember the name of.

I now smoke predominately Pipes as I like pipe smoke a fraction better also cigars are (can be) high cost and maintenance. However that does not mean they aren't good.

A visit to my mate with the Shisha here in the Fatherland often means a cigar smoke and top class beer.

Any one else like their cigars?
If so, do you have a favourite Cigar and a favourite Cigar/rum pairing?

Let us know.

Cheers M
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Some of our favorites...

Sue Sea used to be a real smoker and abuser of ciggies - nasty, nasty habit. But that was over 10 years ago. Many years earlier I'd developed a great love for the world famous Florida Keys - back when it was a two lane highway island hopping several hundred miles out into the Florida Straits, and ending up at Key West and the southernmost point of the United States - a mere 60 miles from Fidel and reminiscent of his old friend Che - not ours of course.

Key West is also known as the Conch Republic, a group of expat wannabees who believed in free love, Ernest Hemingway, living on island time and celebrating the sunset at Mallory Pier every night. Oh, and instead of evacuating drinking rum and smoking smuggled Cuban cigars during hurricane parties. No fear, no worries.

There were two places I always visited there: Kino Handmade Sandal Factory - where you could pick up a pair of honest to goodness leather sandals for $9. They were made in a small open factory right in front of you. The other stop: the Rodriguez Cigar Factory: a one room walk-in store with a counter behind which old man Rodriguez and his familty were rolling fine, fine cigars from good Dominican tobacco. This lovely gentleman was still alive on our last visit, about 83 years old and still producing his hand rolled works of true art. Even today you can buy a box of 20 for around $90 and they are magnificent.

A visit to Key West was not complete without a visit to all of the above, not to mention walking Duval Street smoking one those cigars and stopping frequently for additional liquid fuel in the form of a good Mojito. When we're not in KW, we have a deep affection for any cigar that's finished with a good Camaroon wrapper, particular the Hemingway line of Arturo Fuente.

Camaroon wrappers, like Barbancourt Five Star take you back to the source: the cane swinging in the wind, rustling gently or a vegetal, fermented leafy aroma of the wrapper of the Cameroon. Unfortunately, except for Rodriguez, most of the cigars we like are going to cost upwards of $7 a smoke, a little hard to justify on any regular basis. Still a good cigar paired with Barbancourt Five Star, MGXO, Pusser Blue or perhaps Sea Wynde, surely Seales 10...

Doesn't get any better than that for either Sue or myself, as we pass what is really a work of art called a cigar back and forth. Few people know how the growing of cigar tobacco, its replanting, care, selective harvesting, grading, storage, fermentation and rolling remains an incredible hand made product from the beginning to the end.

No machine can possibly achieve this. It's just like a great rum...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Our two fave's...

Are any of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway's (although the Hemingway Short Story is nice short smoke) - our preferred Camaroon wrappers. But let's face it, at $6.95 per stick this can't be a daily event.

Better for that is a nice discovery we made: a Punch London Club, at just $2.95. 5" x 40 ring - a nice medium to full bodied Honduran corona, Ecuadoran wrapper, ood burn, dependable, tasty - really surprising.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

At these prices I'm sticking to my pipe.

http://www.havanahouse.co.uk/subproduct ... 955&type=C
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Yep, Dai. 22 quid for a Romeo y Julieta is pulling the piss.
in goes your eye out