DDL ICBU Single Barrel

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!
Hassouni
Minor God

DDL ICBU Single Barrel

Post by Hassouni »

Had an ounce of it tonight at a bar (brought my own Glencairn glass). This is from the so-called "Albion" Savalle still from the former Uitvlugt (ICBU) distillery, with the still now being located at Diamond and used for most of its products. It's apparently a quite remarkable still, capable of producing a wide range of rums, so I was pretty excited.

For $15/oz or $70-80 a bottle, it gets a big old:

MEH.

It's not nearly as syrupy or as dark as the ED12 and ED15 (colorwise it looks like MGXO), but it does taste as if it's been sweetened somewhat, while keeping some bitter/tannic qualities and at the same time being rather light, which is very odd. I guess if nothing else it reminds me of Cuban rum, maybe HC7, or the Samaroli "Caribbean" (read: Cuban) 2003 that I've tried. I was really hoping for some intense typically Demerara flavors.

It's also only a mere 40%, so that's kind of depressing (I find 40% spirits a bit insipid). ED claims that their single barrel lines are aged at least 12 years, which I don't doubt. I have to think that without any sugar this might be quite an interesting, complex, albeit quite light-bodied rum. There are hints of it there, and I think frankly $20-30 a bottle might be more appropriate.

So to sum up, interesting, but definitely not worth a bottle purchase.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Mezan have a rum from Uitvluigt distillery Savalle Still as well. I paid less than £30 for a bottle. I believe Dai has a bottle as well.

You can tell the difference between the Mezan and the El Dorado as they Mezan is very light bodied and not at all sweet.

I know Mezan are exhibiting at Miami Rum Renaissance this year so I would assume they may be making a move into the US market. If they do then they offer a relatively inexpensive introduction to Independent bottlings. They are bottled at 40% which is probably how they keep the prices down as opposed to Velier and Samaroli's Cask Strength offerings.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Forty percent...

...is a small compromise for a pure independent bottling...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

An ounce is a bit depressing for 15.00. A pour of rum should be at least 2 oz at that price. They make 375.00 a bottle at that price! An ounce is easily one sip for me a lot of nights.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Forty percent...

I agree. Seale's is what, 43? Appleton 12 40? Lovely rums. I'd rather a 40% pure rum than a 60% adulterated one.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I must be agreeing with you, since I brought home a few older Bristols (which tend to range between 40-46%) tonight...

...but I'll always side in a fight with Cadenhead's and (although I have none as yet) Velier for their full-proof bruisers.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

The Black Tot wrote:

I must be agreeing with you, since I brought home a few older Bristols (which tend to range between 40-46%) tonight...

...but I'll always side in a fight with Cadenhead's and (although I have none as yet) Velier for their full-proof bruisers.
Yes the comparison I was making was between Mezan and the other Cask Strength Independent offerings from Cadenheads, Velier and Samaroli (amongst others)