Bitterness: Is it real?

It's tea time ladies, grab yer mugs! Drink it fast or sip it slow. About glasses, how ta crook yer pinkie, nosing and tasting techniques and equipment. May your cup - and your women - be bottomless!

Have you experienced unexpected "bitterness" in any wine or spirit?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Bitterness: Is it real?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You betcha!

Some time ago I'd noted a couple of reviews by my good friend, the Artic Wolf, who'd found "bitterness" in a couple of rums and other spirits, most notably Mount Gay Extra Old. I found this astonishing, particularly since MGXO is probably one of the most widely respected and top reviewed rums in the world - and I've never seen "bitterness" ever, ever attached to any review, including our own.

At first I thought he must be nuts.

Not at all. In my unceasing efforts to better understand spirits tasting and appreciation I purchased a professional tasting reference book and discovered what may the real issue: Phenol-thiol-urea.

Fermented and/or distilled spirits are known to contain this phenol. It was reported that studies have found that in most populations about 25% of tasters experience this phenol in terms of greater or lesser degrees of "bitterness". Fortunately the great majority of people - about 75% - find it completely tasteless.

Does this mean that those who find this "bitterness" are wrong?

Not at all. The impression is quite real, despite the fact that this finding is in the minority. Tasters who find that they experience bitterness in a number of spirits or wines, especially when the preponderance of reviews do not concur, might consider that they are members of this minority. Because it is not a misinterpretation, they may have to simply ignore their atypical finding of "bitterness" or find a spirit that has less of this phenol.

Certainly having this propensity would be challenging for the professional reviewer.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Update: 2014

It's been several years, and literally hundreds of spirits of all kinds - received and reviewed in conveyor belt fashion - and, envelope please...

...this fee-fi-faux-flummoxed "reviewer" has returned to reporting "bitterness" in his reviews, this time for Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon. To add insult to insanity, he persists in reporting "astringency" (that tannin caused, puckering mouthfeel") as an aroma!? An aroma? Really? Has he learned nothing? You decide. He even attributed this non-existent "aroma" as caused by - are you well seated? By it's alcohol content of 45%. Huh?

On this basis, most of the fine single malts we know and love would uh, nose "astingently". Good grief...